Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which CNC

That's all that matters!!

Quote Originally Posted by michael dilday View Post
    I guess I made the mistake of getting a Nextwave HD4 - but it works great for me.
    I bought a Nextwave for my first machine. It will get the job done but my experience was that I was spending as much time sanding the projects as the time it took to machine them. Once I bought a more rigid machine, I have very little cleanup to do after cutting. I literally spend maybe 5 minutes before I move on to the staining. I wanted to get more into selling products but if it is just a hobby machine for making gifts and such it should work fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    I bought a Nextwave for my first machine. It will get the job done but my experience was that I was spending as much time sanding the projects as the time it took to machine them. Once I bought a more rigid machine, I have very little cleanup to do after cutting. I literally spend maybe 5 minutes before I move on to the staining. I wanted to get more into selling products but if it is just a hobby machine for making gifts and such it should work fine for you.
    Thanks Bobby. If I ever with the lottery or start selling products maybe I will consider it.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Blog Entries
    Ron, if Gary is still selling his CNC Bridgeport mill, might be worth your inquiry. I would imagine that very relevant to saw making, if that's what you have in mind for this.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    And the indecisive saga continues. I was thinking if I forego the custom stand and the bit set, by just buying what I need as I need it, I could certainly build a hefty 36 x 60" bench for the Cnc. Maybe include a couple of drawers, etc.. Then use the monies for either a 3 kw spindle instead of the 1.7kw or perhaps the longer table. I have pretty much decided on the extra gantry height. So at this point I am considering the 2 x 4 table, Performance pro package. 3kw spindle, recoil ready,and hand held. With shipping that brings me to around 12xxx.If the 1.7 and the 3kw used the same bracket, ( doubtful ) I would stay with the 1.7 for now. Last question, I hope. Anyone build a basic en-closer with walk around space for theirs? I was thinking I would need around 30" all the way around. Thank you in advance.
    A lot of folks have built custom tables, etc., for their Stinger I machines (and similar machines) to take advantage of providing for storage, etc. I probably would have done that had I bought the Stinger I instead of moving up to the Stinger II, honestly. I like your list of choices for the machine. I doubt I'd buy the 3kw spindle over the 1.7kw spindle, however. I'd have to have a real good business/use case to support that on a 2x4 machine. I went with the 1.7kw spindle for my 4x4 machine and haven't had any ill effects with the kind of work I do. I guess if I were constantly wanting to cut full thickness sheet goods, the extra omph might come in handy, but that's not what I do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Max thickness of wood would be 1" hardwood. Going back and forth on that one. Trying to avoid those words....."wish I had, should have"
    I do appreciate every one's thoughts on this venture. Thank you.

Ron, I built the Mick Martin table for my earlier version Stinger with separate control box. I added a door to the cabinet so I could keep the PC computer in it and out of the dusty environment. It is built like a tank and could be easily modified for today’s Stinger. Mick has plans in PDF form on the Camheads forum.

As Jim mentioned, the 1.7kw is very capable. I have never wanted for more hp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Max thickness of wood would be 1" hardwood. Going back and forth on that one. Trying to avoid those words....."wish I had, should have"
    I do appreciate every one's thoughts on this venture. Thank you.
    It's unlikely you're going to want to cut 1" material in one shot because so much can go wrong relative to quality. I was working 50mm (2") cherry today for a pet urn and even with smaller bites, I had to do a little dancing since my hefty .375" long cutter got damaged (human error...) and I haven't been able to replace it yet. With the .375" cutter and my 1.7kw spindle, I can push pretty good for thicker material when I have the clearance in the project to use it.
    --

Nice job on the stand/case. I am not able to post etc. yet on the CAMaster forum. It was activated according to the site. I'll have to take a look at those plans when I get a chance later. I'd like to have that delta sander too.

Ron, what user name on Camheads? I'll ping Mr McGrew for you...you can send it to me privately if you prefer.
    --

I was under the impression that you had to be a Camaster owner in order to post on their site. I joined over a year ago and was approved, but when I log in, I still cannot post or view pictures.
    David

camheads access denied.jpg camaster inbox.jpg
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 02-11-2020 at 4:41 PM.

David AFAIK, prospective owners can be approved for posting. It's the part that often gets hung up. I certainly was posting before I was an owner.
    --

What can we do to remedy this?
    David

I can post and see pictures there. There is only a small section exclusive to owners. I go there daily because I am always looking to learn more and they have some good info posted there.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    What can we do to remedy this?
    David
    Same response I made to Ron above...get me your user name and I'll ping the administrator on your behalf.
    --