Thread: tracing an intarsia pattern

tracing an intarsia pattern

Intarsia diagrams are a good source of diagrams to trace out and digitize for a machine cut
    I will show tracing out this large mouth bass and cutting it on a co2 laser
    I made 2 of these using the different pieces of wood

https://youtu.be/7ZzSQbpJonE

this would be a cool trophy plaque
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool Stan I'm going to try this some time thanks
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

the laser gives intarsia a whole new fitted look

you still have to shape the wood after cutting right?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't and haven't , I like it like a puzzle, mind you in the bass fish case the fish is glued to the pine backing , so its sticking out 1/4

I have done others cannot seem to find the photo,but is easily done to round the edge I you prefer that look
    I have moose someplace and the edges were rounded

Quote Originally Posted by stan kern View Post
    I don't and haven't , I like it like a puzzle, mind you in the bass fish case the fish is glued to the pine backing , so its sticking out 1/4

I have done others cannot seem to find the photo,but is easily done to round the edge I you prefer that look
    I have moose someplace and the edges were rounded

Thanks stan this cool I've done pictures of horses where I cut out different section stained them different colors and then glued them all together like a puzzle but this is different then that I think.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Well I gave it a shot my first attempt Intarsia. eagel.jpg
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Another way of creating the Intarsia image ready for the laser is scan the image into your computer, or download one off the internet and use an app such as WinTopo (there's a free version). It will trace your image and convert to vector centred lines, save the result as a .dxf and import into your laser software. I'm hoping Lightburn will add the centre trace feature to their software.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    Another way of creating the Intarsia image ready for the laser is scan the image into your computer, or download one off the internet and use an app such as WinTopo (there's a free version). It will trace your image and convert to vector centred lines, save the result as a .dxf and import into your laser software. I'm hoping Lightburn will add the centre trace feature to their software.

Wintopo doesn't work unless you buy it, just lets you use a sample in free version
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

They have two versions and the free version traced an image fine for me. I saved and then imported it straight into Lightburn.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.