Thread: Bi fold doors for TV cabinet

Bi fold doors for TV cabinet

Can anyone give me a source and some advice on bi folds for a tv cabinet using 3/4” doors
    Last edited by Chris Payne; 01-31-2020 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Spelled title wrong

I purchased some hardware from Richelieu a few years ago. Works really well if you follow the tolerances closely. Doors fold inside the cabinet so allow the extra space including the TV.

I''ll add ... that the doors need to be dead flat.

Thinking about using a pocket door kit and when I open the doors and let the one door retract back into the cabinet and fold the second door to the outside only protists that is it’s just hanging there.thinking that would be less restriction seeing the TV from a angle. Your thoughts

Hi Chris,

I've used them all and this is my favorite:

https://www.knapeandvogt.com/8092

This pocket door hardware uses rack and pinion on the slides - It's very stout and easy to install. You don't have to fuss with the cables like some other hardware.

Where the doors "bi fold", I use a piano hinge cut to the length of the door height. With this installation the two inner door sections fold to the inside. This keeps the piano hinge out a sight and doesn't let the door section interfere with the pocket door hardware.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hockenberg; 01-31-2020 at 2:18 PM.

So Mark would you turn the second door in and then retract the first door? Would this take up a lot of room?

I think I get the picture now it should be folded up pretty close to the first door before you slide it back by doggy I think that might work thanks Mark.

This setup works great. I'll snap some photos of my great room TV area and send them to you.

Thanks Mark I would really appreciate the pictures. How much room does the doors take up on each side when opened on each side of your cabinet?

Mark send pictures to paynecp59@gmail.com Thanks

Hi Chris - With the slide hardware, (2) 3/4" doors and gaps, mine take up 2-1/4" of space. Here are the photos. I'll email them directly as well. I'm still struggling with Sawmill rotating my photos. Cheers, Mark

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

As a practical matter you will probably leave them open all the time.