Thread: Windows 10 Home vs Pro

Windows 10 Home vs Pro

Finally got my Lenovo 21" All in One computer, new to me with very little use, it has a Touchscreen but its so nice so it may not end up in the shop. It came with the Home edition installed and my others have Win7 Pro.

Should I upgrade to Win10 Pro ($99) and does it allow me to turn off or control updates and have other advantages?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill...
    I always spec Win10Pro for control computers as it does give you more control over the settings that mean something to CNC control.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I don't know enough about CNC yet to know if Pro will give you more control than Home. I'll bow to Gary's expertise. However, as to your question, Home version 1909 allows you to defer updates indefinitely, 4 weeks at a time. You simply need to remember not to let the clock wind down to zero. I follow an e-zine that tests all the updates and I wait until they pronounce them safe before installing. So far, so good.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks all, I am taking Garys advice because someday I may upgrade my control system. I love that large screen!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The major difference between "home" and "pro" for Win10 is support for domains and "enterprise" type features. I do not know if that will affect typical CNC control software in a non-industrial environment at all. Since the upgrade is more or less a "registration event", there should be no harm is trying the "home" version to see if it meets your needs and if not, then spring for the upgrade code to Pro to turn on the additional features needed that are not in "home".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...