Thread: Router motor for SawStop router lift?

Router motor for SawStop router lift?

Anyone have a recommendation for a router motor for the SawStop router lift? The most common seems to be the Porter Cable 7518 but they seem to have dropped in quality lately and have earned some bad reviews.

I've been using the Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25hp router in my Sawstop router lift. Pretty happy with it. Came with collets for 1/2 and 1/4 inch bits. Wish I didn't have to use two wrenches to change bits, but if you get it set up right when it's fully raised you won't bust your knuckles too bad. Also I had to use one of the adapter rings that comes with the router lift kit. Router lift is excellent, especially when paired with the downdraft box and the fence with respect to dust collection. I use it with the extension wing for my SawStop PCS.

Blog Entries
    I have an Excalibur lift, which the SawStop lift is cloned from, and use the big Milwaukee 5625 motor in it. Works very well. changing bits takes 2 wrenches, but that can easily be done from the top by just raising the motor.

That lift is superb. With 4 threaded posts & a massive cast aluminum frame, I doubt there is a more stout lift out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I have an Excalibur lift, which the SawStop lift is cloned from, and use the big Milwaukee 5625 motor in it. Works very well. changing bits takes 2 wrenches, but that can easily be done from the top by just raising the motor.

That lift is superb. With 4 threaded posts & a massive cast aluminum frame, I doubt there is a more stout lift out there.
    Does the Excalibur lift have a fine adjustment similar to the Jessem Mast-R-Lift II? In other words is one turn of the adjustment crank 1/16"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Does the Excalibur lift have a fine adjustment similar to the Jessem Mast-R-Lift II? In other words is one turn of the adjustment crank 1/16"?
    There is only 1 adjustment. One full turn of the crank moves the lift .08", or a little over 1/16". Raising the lift from lowest to highest takes about 10 - 15 seconds, depending on how fast a cranker you are.

I have the PC7518 in my router table and the Bosch 1617 in the router table in my SawStop extension. Both work great.

I’ve had the PC7518 for 5 years. It gets the most use and has been great.

Steve - I run the PC 7518 in my Excalibur and it's great. It's 10 or more years old. Like you, I've read some negative reviews. If I were replacing it, I'd try the Milwaukee like Frank. The reviews have been very favorable on the Milwaukee.

The 7518 is the industry standard for a reason. Is question the story told by a few bad reviews, as no one is leaving good reviews for the other million 7518s out there making chips fly everyday. The Milwaukee is nice, but has a fairly well documented issue with dust in the switch.