Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for tool sharpening on a lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Vincent View Post
    Looks like the majority of folks think this'd be an unfavorable option. Suppose I'll hold out for a slow speed grinder.
    So glad the message got through. Also glad that you’re taking sharpening seriously. I’ve seen a leather stropping/honing wheel mounted on the outboard side of an older PM, but even that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. My grinder is literally two steps from the lathe.
    Even a cheap slow-speed grinder is a better option than grinding on the lathe. As has been said, the rikon 1/2 hp goes on sale regularly and will last for years. Get an inexpensive 8” grinder, a jig setup and save up for CBN wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    So glad the message got through. Also glad that you’re taking sharpening seriously. I’ve seen a leather stropping/honing wheel mounted on the outboard side of an older PM, but even that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. My grinder is literally two steps from the lathe.
    Even a cheap slow-speed grinder is a better option than grinding on the lathe. As has been said, the rikon 1/2 hp goes on sale regularly and will last for years. Get an inexpensive 8” grinder, a jig setup and save up for CBN wheels.
    Careful with the CBN and cheap grinder recommendation. I've read quite a few complaints about slow starting with the 1/2hp Rikon with 2 CBN wheels.

You can get a harbor freight belt/disc sander cheaper. I have the slow speed grinder and wish it was a slower speed than it is. Maybe with use and experience I will grow accustomed to it. But flat bladed items like the skew, spear point and parting tool seem to sharpen easier on a belt sharpener. I also use an electric honing machine for the roughing gouges. Easier to use than a jig.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Careful with the CBN and cheap grinder recommendation. I've read quite a few complaints about slow starting with the 1/2hp Rikon with 2 CBN wheels.
    Been using this setup for somewhere close to 7 years with no problems. Woodcraft no name 1/2hp slow-speed grinder (not the version they were selling that was 'problematic') with two D-Way CBN wheels (steel, not aluminum or resin). Does it take 5 - 7 seconds to get up to speed? Yeah - it always has; I''m thinking it was slow to start with the old AO wheels. Does it continue to work? Oh yeah. Will I be looking at a 1hp version next time? Maybe, if I can find one cheap enough. The difference in startup times at about 2 or 3 seconds isn't really a problem, at least for me.