Thread: General Considerations - When to finish with clear on painted surfaces

General Considerations - When to finish with clear on painted surfaces

Hello. Been a while since I posted. Recently I painted some hemlock window trim and baseboards using SW ProClassic (waterborne), with mixed results, but overall I like the finish. Then I got to thinking and then reading about clear coats, and now I'm wondering what the general considerations are for when it might be a good idea to finish painted trim and cabinetry with a clear coat. What would you say is the primary reason for finishing with clear? Does it add strength and/or endurance to the finish? Thanks.

In general...unless they are compatible finishes that meld together or are otherwise designed to work together, it's not the greatest idea. You did pick a product (the SW ProClassic 100% acrylic) which will be less problem for this at least. "Compatible" clears over a color product can definitely add some level of durability if they are designed for that purpose. They can also be used to adjust the sheen, etc. But again, choosing a product that is worth the effort is the key here and you're probably best exploring clears from companies like General Finishes, CrystalLac and Target Coatings, to name a few...you're not likely going to fine a "worthy" product on a retail shelf.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Jim. I was just reading something you wrote in an older thread about ProClassic water-alkyd hybrid. I just came back from the local SW store and picked up a gallon of the 100% acrylic. I note that your usual practice is to brush or roll this paint on trim. I'm doing some baseboards soon that I've primed and sanded very smooth, so I'm anxious to lay down a good finish that will level well. I've already done some window trim, which I brushed, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the product. Would you recommend a brush roller for the baseboards, and if so, what kind? Thank you.

SW ProClassic is a 100% acrylic. BM Advance is the water borne emulsified Alkyd.

I've moved to Chinex type brushes over the past few years...I like how they lay down paint and find they clean up than the typical better quality nylon bristle type brushes. I only brush trim, honestly. In the shop, I spray the material unless the project isn't conducive to it, such as the TwinXL over Queen bunk bed I did last year for a client.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...