Thread: Anyone know what this is? <picture>

Anyone know what this is? <picture>

I'm pretty sure this is a woodworking related item so I'm posting here.

I've had this thing for longer than I can remember thinking I'd eventually need it. Does anyone recognize this piece of plastic?

Thanks.

Mitchell

IMG_0180.jpg

My wild and uneducated guess is some kind of plate that slides on two parallel round steel rods. You have any tools with two rods like that? SMCS? Plunge router or router lift?

Why would you think it was woodworking related?

Why woodworking?? Just a guess since all the times I remember seeing the thing it was in a drawer with mostly sanding related tools. But I just don't see what function it would provide for sanding or sanders. But it could have come from somewhere else and just ended up in the drawer. Or it could be it has something to do with a tool I no longer have.

The best way to find out what it is will be to throw it away. I'm sure to need it if I do that.

That's food for thought. I'll check through my router accessories to see if that helps ID it. The 3 countersunk holes I've guessed are for securing it to something but I don't know what.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    My wild and uneducated guess is some kind of plate that slides on two parallel round steel rods. You have any tools with two rods like that? SMCS? Plunge router or router lift?

It looks a lot like something that would screw onto the end of an aluminum extrusion. Of course, that still would leave thousands of possibilities.

Reminds me of the non-marring plate for my floor nailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Reminds me of the non-marring plate for my floor nailer.
    that's exactly what i thought when i saw it.

yep... dewalt probably...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe a screw down base that allows you to insert a magnifying light(base) into the 2 holes at the top?? I have something that looks like that that came with a magnifying light that I bought.

Jim

You've nailed it (pun intended). I had a floor nailer years ago and after several years with no more flooring projects I sold it. I think this piece did not get to the buyer. Now I can toss it in the bin without worrying.

A big thanks to all who responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    that's exactly what i thought when i saw it.

yep... dewalt probably...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Garnett View Post
    You've nailed it (pun intended). I had a floor nailer years ago and after several years with no more flooring projects I sold it. I think this piece did not get to the buyer. Now I can toss it in the bin without worrying.

A big thanks to all who responded.
    If you still have the buyer's info you might surprise him with it. Better lathe than never.

JKJ

Was there a prize? LOL!!
    Glad I was able to help. Usually I'm intimidated by all the expertise on this forum.