Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JT Turning tools response time

JT Turning tools response time

I've been trying to get a price on a vacuum adapter, wheel, and hub for my G0766 lathe from JT Turningtools for nearly 2 weeks now. The only response I've received is "please send me your address" (which I did- twice). I understand, this is small company, and that he does attend trade shows and the like to perpetuate his business, which likely takes him away from the day to day. But, I'm I being too impatient?

I want to get my vacuum pump setup and using it. I like his solution for my lathe. But what does it take to get a response? I'm ready to buy. I just don't know what and how much. Can I expect similar performance after the sell? Will he delivery before June? Getting frustrated.....

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I've been trying to get a price on a vacuum adapter, wheel, and hub for my G0766 lathe from JT Turningtools for nearly 2 weeks now. The only response I've received is "please send me your address" (which I did- twice). I understand, this is small company, and that he does attend trade shows and the like to perpetuate his business, which likely takes him away from the day to day. But, I'm I being too impatient?

I want to get my vacuum pump setup and using it. I like his solution for my lathe. But what does it take to get a response? I'm ready to buy. I just don't know what and how much. Can I expect similar performance after the sell? Will he delivery before June? Getting frustrated.....
    Oh no, not again. Seems like just a year ago he was unresponsive for months.

I forgot what kind of lathe you have. I came a cross a Oneway vacuum adapter in drawer full of stuff which is supposedly made for a PM 3520b. At least that's the lathe it came with. Someone, here can't remember who, may have been interested in it. It wasn't you, was it? I have one the style of the JT so I don't need the other one.

You know, a decent machinist could make one like the JT - just need a couple of sealed bearings, a chunk of aluminum, some O rings, and a central tube. I've seen pictures on this or another forum where someone made one from wood on the wood lathe. Lignum vitae might be a good choice. Can't remember if I mentioned it before but Joe Woodworker site has plans for a simple adapter that looks easy to make.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Oh no, not again. Seems like just a year ago he was unresponsive for months.

I forgot what kind of lathe you have. I came a cross a Oneway vacuum adapter in drawer full of stuff which is supposedly made for a PM 3520b. At least that's the lathe it came with. Someone, here can't remember who, may have been interested in it. It wasn't you, was it? I have one the style of the JT so I don't need the other one.

You know, a decent machinist could make one like the JT - just need a couple of sealed bearings, a chunk of aluminum, some O rings, and a central tube. I've seen pictures on this or another forum where someone made one from wood on the wood lathe. Lignum vitae might be a good choice. Can't remember if I mentioned it before but Joe Woodworker site has plans for a simple adapter that looks easy to make.

JKJ
    Thanks John, I know there are other options. JT's just seemed to be good quality without breaking the bank. I like that is quick connect to the lathe. The issue is that I need a specialized handle not solid directly from his website for my lathe. I'm going to give it a few more days

have you tried the phone? I've found him to be very responsive to a call, not so much for email...He makes very good stuff - I've been using the vac adapter and hubs for several years now, couldn't turn without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    have you tried the phone? I've found him to be very responsive to a call, not so much for email...He makes very good stuff - I've been using the vac adapter and hubs for several years now, couldn't turn without them.
    Four times. I left 2 messages.

If there is a symposium going on in the country he may be occupied there. I have bought his products and in defense, he being a small business, he may be preoccupied elsewhere with demos and sales at afore mentioned symposiums

I went the route of the frugalvacuumchuck fellow (Bob Leonard, iirc). I have a G0766 also. I bought the sealed bearings, with attached polyethylene tube from him (see my previous posts regard not all sealed bearings are REALLY sealed). I attached the bearing to a block of wood, which I had pre-turned to have a dovetail to fit my 5" and another for my 2-1/4" chuck. The bearing and dovetail block form a vacuum adapter. So, when I use it, I put a chuck on my lathe, slide the 3/8" OD dia tube through the spindle and tighten the vacuum adapter/wooden block in the chuck. Then I move over another piece of poly tubing from the vacuum system about an inch or two and press it (a 3/8" ID tube) onto the poly tail sticking out of the back of the spindle. I suspect that the whole operation takes 30 seconds at most. The cost of the system is low. It is very efficient timewise and it works very well. When I'm done using the vacuum chuck, I just loosen the chuck and pull the vacuum adapter and tube out of the spindle. I leave the rest of my vacuum system in place.

I suppose that this system is - - in effect - - the equivalent to what you're considering, except my bearing is on the right end of my spindle and yours would be on the left.

I found the frugal vacuum guy to be really responsive on providing sealed bearings with a small poly "tail" (plus his prices were really very good).

Just another approach....

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I went the route of the frugalvacuumchuck fellow (Bob Leonard, iirc). I have a G0766 also. I bought the sealed bearings, with attached polyethylene tube from him (see my previous posts regard not all sealed bearings are REALLY sealed). I attached the bearing to a block of wood, which I had pre-turned to have a dovetail to fit my 5" and another for my 2-1/4" chuck. The bearing and dovetail block form a vacuum adapter. So, when I use it, I put a chuck on my lathe, slide the 3/8" OD dia tube through the spindle and tighten the vacuum adapter/wooden block in the chuck. Then I move over another piece of poly tubing from the vacuum system about an inch or two and press it (a 3/8" ID tube) onto the poly tail sticking out of the back of the spindle. I suspect that the whole operation takes 30 seconds at most. The cost of the system is low. It is very efficient timewise and it works very well. When I'm done using the vacuum chuck, I just loosen the chuck and pull the vacuum adapter and tube out of the spindle. I leave the rest of my vacuum system in place.

I suppose that this system is - - in effect - - the equivalent to what you're considering, except my bearing is on the right end of my spindle and yours would be on the left.

I found the frugal vacuum guy to be really responsive on providing sealed bearings with a small poly "tail" (plus his prices were really very good).

Just another approach....
    Thanks Brice. I am aware of the FVC solution and perhaps I'll end up there. But what I don't like is that it requires a chuck. I have only a few chucks and they may be loaded already with turning projects. And, as you pointed out, you need a separate one for every jaw size you want to use. I know there are also solutions that use a wooden chuck tapped for the headstock. That too, is not as nice as the JTTT solution with the interchangeable PVC cups.

what are people's thought on the holdfast system using a vacuum pump instead of the venturi.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    what are people's thought on the holdfast system using a vacuum pump instead of the venturi.
    Don't know about Holdfast. I do use a vacuum pump regularly to hold bowls to turn off the tenons. I use PVC pipe/fittings between a homemade aluminum spindle adapter (with and o-ring seal to the fitting) and the bowl. I use some cheap closed cell (drawer liner?) foam from Wally World as a seal. Works for me. I regularly pull 25" vacuum using a cheap gauge that I have no idea how accurate it is. I've used it on bowls/platters from 3-4" to 16-18+"

11. Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    . I have the HoldFast venturi system, and it does a decent job, but on some woods I could not get more than 15 hg of vacuum, which makes the hold iffy at times. I purchased a Harbor Freight Vacuum pump [2 stage 3cfm] back about 5 years ago, and was planning to build a better system. Well, I finally did, and the really great component is the Vacuum chuck head that screws on the spindle from Harrison Specialties.

I can peg the vacuum dial [31 hg] with this thing now, and what is even better is that Harrison Specialties just came out with a new and much improved gasket for their vacuum head. I got one, and have not had a chance to use it yet, but I can tell it will be better than the old gasket by far, and I like it’s quality.....superb machining! Super value as well, as it is by far a great bang for your bucks! I have the 0766 and the 0800 lathes in my shop, and can use this with either lathe. Just make sure you get the 1.25x 8tpi to fit your spindle.

I solved the oil mist exhaust issue by asking Kerry Harrison to let me purchase an extra length of the tubing [your set up may not need the extra tubing] that comes with the chuck, and drilled a hole in a lid for a paint can just big enough for the tube to fit into, and put several paper towels inside the can, and put the lid on. It catches all the mist [which is really a tiny amount], and I don’t have to worry about breathing the contaminated air.

I want to give credit to Richard Coors for that idea, as I read where he did the same thing....great solution from an experienced and knowledgeable woodworker/turner!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-29-2020 at 9:10 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    . I have the HoldFast venturi system, and it does a decent job, but on some woods I could not get more than 15 hg of vacuum, which makes the hold iffy at times. I purchased a Harbor Freight Vacuum pump [2 stage 3cfm] back about 5 years ago, and was planning to build a better system. Well, I finally did, and the really great component is the Vacuum chuck head that screws on the spindle from Harrison Specialties.

I can peg the vacuum dial [31 hg] with this thing now, and what is even better is that Harrison Specialties just came out with a new and much improved gasket for their vacuum head. I got one, and have not had a chance to use it yet, but I can tell it will be better than the old gasket by far, and I like it’s quality.....superb machining! Super value as well, as it is by far a great bang for your bucks! I have the 0766 and the 0800 lathes in my shop, and can use this with either lathe. Just make sure you get the 1.25x 8tpi to fit your spindle.

I solved the oil mist exhaust issue by asking Kerry Harrison to let me purchase an extra length of the tubing [your set up may not need the extra tubing] that comes with the chuck, and drilled a hole in a lid for a paint can just big enough for the tube to fit into, and put several paper towels inside the can, and put the lid on. It catches all the mist [which is really a tiny amount], and I don’t have to worry about breathing the contaminated air.

I want to give credit to Richard Coors for that idea, as I read where he did the same thing....great solution from an experienced and knowledgeable woodworker/turner!

I like the Harrison Specialties part, but it only comes in 3.5". I don't think that will work for larger projects. Do the holdfast cups hold vacuum good?

Tom, I've had the JT Turning Tools vacuum adapter and handwheel kit on my G0766 for a little over four years now and highly recommend it. Likewise for his "Precision Vacuum Chuck Hub" for making various sizes of chucks from sch. 40 PVC fittings. It is a bit concerning that you haven't been able to connect with him for two weeks.

I'm virtually certain that the G0766 uses the same vacuum adapter kit (adapter and "custom" handwheel) that is listed on his website for the Laguna 18/47 lathe. The price there is still $135.00, which is what he charged me in late 2015. As for the Precision Vacuum Chuck Hub, the 1.25 x 8 size is the one to order for your G0766.

As others have said, Mr. Steyer may be traveling. Or perhaps a health or other personal issue has interrupted his normally good customer service. I think he's still essentially a one-man operation. I'd keep trying to reach him for awhile longer. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Tom, I've had the JT Turning Tools vacuum adapter and handwheel kit on my G0766 for a little over four years now and highly recommend it. Likewise for his "Precision Vacuum Chuck Hub" for making various sizes of chucks from sch. 40 PVC fittings. It is a bit concerning that you haven't been able to connect with him for two weeks.

I'm virtually certain that the G0766 uses the same vacuum adapter kit (adapter and "custom" handwheel) that is listed on his website for the Laguna 18/47 lathe. The price there is still $135.00, which is what he charged me in late 2015. As for the Precision Vacuum Chuck Hub, the 1.25 x 8 size is the one to order for your G0766.

As others have said, Mr. Steyer may be traveling. Or perhaps a health or other personal issue has interrupted his normally good customer service. I think he's still essentially a one-man operation. I'd keep trying to reach him for awhile longer. Good luck!
    Thanks David. I was wondering the same thing about the Laguna adapter but I want to be absolutely sure. I'll continue to try with JTTT. In the meantime I purchased the simple vac chuck adapter from Harrison. Looks like it'll work for many of my needs and doesn't break the bank.

Tom, thanks for reminding me about using a tapped wooden block with a PVC fitting to make a vacuum head that screws directly onto my spindle and eliminate the need to dismount something from my chuck. I overlooked that.

I ended up buying 20 or so feet of stiff poly tubing of both sizes: 3/8" OD and 3/8" ID - - they nest together really well. So, when I bought 3 spare bearings (with 3/8 OD stub) for something under $30. So each new size of vacuum head only costs me about $10 (assuming that I have the spare PVC tubes and/or use wood that I have on hand.