Thread: Nova Comet 14Dr Lathe

Nova Comet 14Dr Lathe

I am a beginning turner. I relocated from the San Francisco Bay Area to Connecticut. In setting up a new shop I am in the market for a lathe to be used mostly for spindle turning for furniture legs. I used to have a Harbor Freight mini but sold it prior to moving. Already have a Nova G3 chuck and some tools. Wondering if anyone has the 14Dr and do you have any reservations. Plan to purchase with the bed extension. Thank you for your thoughts.

Looks like the 14dr is the next generation of the Comet II which I have used for over 2 years. This new generation has a 1hp instead of the 3/4 hp motor on mine and only 2 speed ranges instead of 3; both significant improvements and should make the lathe better. The big problem I had with my Comet II was the failure of the controller after 2 years; out of warranty and $150 to replace. The lathe doesn’t run if that happens; won’t even power up.

if it’s the same controller I think it’s a weak point. Also I didn’t feel that Teknatool was as responsive as I would have liked during the diagnosis of the problem. I now use a surge protector since the controller is an electronic part but I never believed it failed from a power surge. Nothing else in my whole house that is electronic failed. If you buy I would also buy a surge protector for it or Teknatool may not cover under warranty.

Harold,

I previously had a Nova Comet II and got one of the Comet 14 early models. I signed an agreement to not do a formal review, so will not, but will say that I returned it after a week not finding it to be a major improvement over the Comet II and had a major problem develop. The 14" is an improvement if nothing more than giving more work space under a 12" piece. I definitely would encourage getting your eyes and hands on one before buying. The manual did not match the lathe I received, and only minor changes were made to the manual that is now out. Check out the 2 speed range and see if that is your working range or will need to make belt changes doing a project for example.

Randy and Thomas thank you for your comments. While I don’t expect to be a heavy lathe user I am looking for something that will handle up to a 36” spindle and be relatively reliable. I don’t expect to do a lot of bowls. To clarify, my interest is in period furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Patterson View Post
    Randy and Thomas thank you for your comments. While I don’t expect to be a heavy lathe user I am looking for something that will handle up to a 36” spindle and be relatively reliable. I don’t expect to do a lot of bowls. To clarify, my interest is in period furniture.
    I don’t do much spindle turning and nothing that long. I’d do a little more research on other available lathes. The Comet II is okay for beginners I think but, after just over two years turning, I am thinking of an upgrade to something else. Laguna makes makes the Revo 12/16 which may be a bit of an upgrade over the Comet plus it allows outboard turning with an additional purchase.

problem is that most other lathes similar to the Comet are significantly higher in price but maybe you get what you pay for.

I was very interested in the Laguna but their bed extension is only 10 inches. My other possibilities are the Jet 1221vs or the Rikon 220vs.

I was very interested in the Laguna but their bed extension is only 10 inches. My other possibilities are the Jet 1221vs or the Rikon 220vs.
    Take a good look at the Rikon 220VS. I bought one after returning the Comet 14 and find it to be a solid lathe. I had an issue with the tach and Rikon sent replacement parts after a phone call and I was able to install them. The lathe when bolted down has a solid footprint, strong banjo/tool rest post at 1", and 3-1/2" spindle travel in strong tailstock. Controls are easy to use. Good value. I do not plan to use a bed extension, but it is available.

Randy and Thomas I made the decision to purchase the Rikon 220VSR. Thank you both for your help.

Randy and Thomas I made the decision to purchase the Rikon 220VSR. Thank you both for your help.
    Think you made a good choice and will be happy for a long time.

I think you will be happier than with the Comet. I just wish that all the companies would change from 3 speed ranges to 2. The middle speed range is sometimes just slow enough at the top end that it's necessary to move the belt to the fast speed range during a project. I think Rikon makes great tools and their support is usually very good.

Well I finally ordered my lathe Saturday morning. Woodcraft had a special price of $599.00 and shipping was free this weekend so I expect it to be shipped soon from Woodcraft’s warehouse. The bed extension is coming directly from Rikon. Thanks for the advise.

12. Hey All, new to this forum. Any updates on the 14DR from Nova? I was interested in buying one of these or a used 1624 II for the same price. Thanks,