Thread: The packrats have actually provided a benefit!

The packrats have actually provided a benefit!

I've actually found some things that I forgot I had! Most are small and thus easy to forget, but I've had this thing lying around for years. Since the face vise on my current bench is starting to rack, I'm sorely tempted to swap it for this. However, I've never used one of these one turn open/lock quick adjust vises so I have no idea how well they actually work in practice.

I'm pretty sure the next bench will end up with a criss-cross leg vise.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Mike,

While I've never owned a bench with that type of vise, I've used one enough to get a feel for it. Bottom line while it takes a little time to remember what you need to do the vise can work very well.

ken

Ken,

That's about what I figured. I was contemplating taking my existing vise out and straightening the guides. This is much easier! I really totally forgot I had it, it's been in a box for about 15 years now.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I've had a Columbian quick release face vise for a bazillion years and I find it works very well in daily use. Pull the front chop open (as opposed to having to crank it open), insert material, push it closed with a hip or belly (of which there is an abundance available), then give the crank a quick little tightening to catch up with the push and it holds well. Unless the material is either big, heavy or gawky, the vise will hold the material temporarily with the closing push only until I crank it tighter for a "working" hold. I have the chop faces lined with suede leather for better/easier gripping. Once every year or four, something gets a little gummy in the vise works, so I blow it out with the air hose and it fixes itself. I used to remember to put a little wax on the slick guide rods and the threaded action rod once every year or four, but believe that I have not remembered lately. Mine is located on the opposite side of my walk-around Ruobo bench from my leg vise and is used for sawing and joinery work mostly.
    David

I have a metal-working vise made by Record with that type of quick adjust. I much prefer the lever type like on some of their Woodworking vises, but after using it for a year or so I've gotten the hang of it. It works fine. I've learned to open the jaws and bring them in against the work-piece using the quick release and then locking it down with a quarter turn of the handle. The only real issue I've had with it is when I'm (mis)using the jaws as an arbor press. Sometimes under pressure as I turn the handle to drive in the pin (or whatever), I'll reach the thread-less portion of the screw and it'll disengage. Kind of a nuisance, but it really doesn't happen that often.

DC

Thanks guys, I suspect I'll flip the top in the next week or so and suss out getting this mounted.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    I have a similar Vise made by Reed Mfg. Erie, PA and I really like it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've actually found some things that I forgot I had!
    Glad I’m not the only one! Been sorting out the workshop, when you are buying stuff you actually have you know you have too much stuff. New light fixture, had the same one stored. Vacuum filter bags, had a case! Disposable paint brushes, had 50. Yet when I wanted a 7/8” chisel I had none!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

The quick release feature is very nice to have .....
    Jerry