Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I learned a lesson from EBay... 100w fiber

it is very easy to know the power of the laser source.
    If you will use laser power meter, like ophir nova ii or vega or centauri, with appropriate power sensor you will know what is what with a matter of seconds. This is why these laser power meters were invented for, or if you have build in thermopile laser sensor into the laser.
    Kind Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by art olin View Post
    it is very easy to know the power of the laser source.
    If you will use laser power meter, like ophir nova ii or vega or centauri, with appropriate power sensor you will know what is what with a matter of seconds. This is why these laser power meters were invented for, or if you have build in thermopile laser sensor into the laser.
    Kind Regards.

I was hoping not not have to get an additional piece of equipment just to make sure a piece of equipment is what it was advertised as.

I’m sure if push comes to shove and PayPal wants more proof than the amp draw, missing data plate, and dismissive seller, then I suppose I’ll have to drop another $2-400 on a piece of diagnostic equipment. I’m still waiting on Raycus to get back to me on what can be done to identify the laser.

But, I’m sure the wife would certainly love it if I bought more electrical testing equipment! 🤣

My hobbies are so dang expensive!

I personally have 3 power meters, and 10 different sensors. It is a basic tool for any laser owner. Even recently there was a reference to evergreenlaser repair shop. If you will go to their coherent pictures site and in picture 5 you will see that they have 2 laser power meters. Anyway this tool gives you instant result. You can buy nova ii, it is the cheapest, I would check ebay, usually 50% in savings, and the same goes for a power sensor. sensors are expensive but also ebay and you can have it for 20-30%. Kind Regards.

Aren't those intended for co2 lasers? They depend on heat over a certain length of time.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Aren't those intended for co2 lasers? They depend on heat over a certain length of time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7snDHsv9xQ
    no, they are not intended for co2, ONLY. This is an energy and power laser meter reader only. Another part of it will be a sensor and in this case a power sensor. You are mixing simple cheap stuff with professional tools like nova vega centauri or maestro. They are constructed and intended for all lasers with full spectrum of wavelength. This is where sensors come in - attachable/deattachable sensors - and they are intended for a specific lasers or function.
    You are using this kind of laser meter as a reader only. by selecting wavelength of co2 laser you are able to measure power of co2 laser, by selecting different wavelengths you are able to measure power of wavelength from different lasers; 1064 or 532, or 355 ect or you can even enter your own wavelength to measure. etc... they are for a lot of different measurements, depending on the connected sensor, selected option etc...... Kind Regards.
    Last edited by art olin; 02-01-2020 at 10:18 AM.

So Art, are you selling lasers and what do those power meters cost that everyone should have? Not the cheap ones.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Well, it’s been a long minute but I thought I would give an update.

PayPal did indeed tell the seller to take the unit back BUT per their policy (that we seem to only read after an issue) they will not force the seller to pay for return shipping, they only protect the original purchase.

After some pricing out, it looks like the cheapest freight I could find was about $2k!

So I contacted my bank and explained what happened and they opened up a dispute. After explaining to them the issue and providing pictures and emails and such, they said it looks pretty cut and dry.
    They will be doing their part and hopefully I’ll have the charges reversed here soon. So if I do end up getting my money back, I’m looking to get a Co2 laser and a few other items to expand my capabilities.

Also, while digging around trying to identify the unit, I realized something. I can at least narrow down what series I have by the case size.

10-20-30w units have one size
    The 50 and 100’s are different as well.
    I don’t have the measurements on hand but mine is the same size as the 10-30w units.

Well, that’s where I am at with this fiasco and let this hopefully serve as yet another tale of why it’s a crapshoot on eBay.

Re: "Crapshoot on eBay"...

I snipped this from the Off Topic section, within a thread about Ford's 10-speed truck transmissions:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    ....As for a Chrysler product I bought a lot of Chrysler,s over the years until had a PT Cruiser that had problem from the get go with warnings about airbags. long story short. In court Chrysler's lawyer stated it was my fault due to my negligence in not informing Chrysler that there was a problem. All work was done under warranty and afterwards at Chrysler dealers, last one even was turned down when asked for factory help solving the problem. Lost that case in court and approx 8k in repair costs had to be eaten by me. NO MORE CHRYSLER CRAP HERE EVER AGAIN. 30+ YEARS OF BUYING CHRYSLER PRODUCTS
    I feel your pain, but based on my personal observations, eBay doesn't have the market cornered on shooting craps!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Re: "Crapshoot on eBay"...

I snipped this from the Off Topic section, within a thread about Ford's 10-speed truck transmissions:

I feel your pain, but based on my personal observations, eBay doesn't have the market cornered on shooting craps!
    Don’t get me started on PT cruisers! 🤬

Well, at least my story is a good cautionary tale! Maybe some will learn from my failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bond Sr. View Post
    Don’t get me started on PT cruisers! 郎

Well, at least my story is a good cautionary tale! Maybe some will learn from my failure.
    There are enough cautionary tales here that you would think nobody would ever buy an eBay machine again, yet they do...

Any further updates on this? I too have purchased the supposed 100w fiber laser form the same Ebay seller. I am wondering how you made out with resolution as I am about to contact PayPal. I used the PayPal credit option and am hoping they will have more pull. I contacted them prior to ordering and they said I would be covered. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Porter View Post
    Any further updates on this? I too have purchased the supposed 100w fiber laser form the same Ebay seller. I am wondering how you made out with resolution as I am about to contact PayPal. I used the PayPal credit option and am hoping they will have more pull. I contacted them prior to ordering and they said I would be covered. Any additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob
    Well, PayPal will back you in the fact that you will get all your money back when you ship it back to the seller.
    However they will not cover any part of the return shipping costs. Unless the seller is willing to pay for the return shipping, you’d have to fork over (in my case) 2k in shipping to recoup your money.

My seller seems to know this and has emailed saying they’ll take the unit back but I have to pay for shipping. All the while not admitting to it being a lesser unit.

The last email being “We already send you 100W certificate, per machine with per certificate.

if you don't like, why not return.

you open paypal case first, but don't return. this time also need to return then refund!

also your machine is customized order, we marked on paypal invoice. we can't refund your full payment, once you return.“

Their “certificate” was the fda paperwork.... hand written.

I replied that the unit doesn’t draw the power a 100watt unit draws and that the laser source itself is too small dimensionally to be a 100watt unit. If they want the unit, they will pay for return shipping.

So far, no reply back from them. Shocker....

As far as wondering what wattage unit you have my suggestion is to measure the laser source box that is inside the enclosure.

Idk about all laser units out there but mines on rails and I can unlock the case and slide it open to expose the controllers and laser source.

It’s pretty easy to measure and reference the size off Raycus’s tech specs.

Mine measures 260x391x120 which is the 10-30w class units.

A 100watt should be like 396x360x123

Or as others suggested (and I have tried out) is measure the power draw with a meter like a “kill-a-watt” or a multimeter with an amp clamp.

At the end of the day, PayPal wasn’t helpful at all so I called my bank and filed a dispute. I provided them all the documents I had including pictures and emails and they said it’s a pretty cut and dry case and it will take 10-45 days to resolve.

So, it’s been a goat rope for sure.

I wish you luck with PayPal credit. Idk if their policies are different but I hope it works out for you!

Found 2 ads for the 100w machine, same seller, couldn't find any other such machines...

There's many things wrong with these ads:

1st: only 12 sales and not the best feedback-
    sinfo.jpg

2nd, there's 3 different machines depicted in one ad, 2 machines in the second,
    all pics should be of the same machine--

3rd: 2nd ad pic of the laser source,
    left label, right label:
    lb2.jpg
    lb1.jpg
    I enlarged these on purpose,
    note below 'Raycus' on both labels,
    there's no pixels-- info has been erased...

I'm not wanting anyone to feel bad, I'm just making note that this is the 'due diligence' necessary when buying pretty much
    ANYthing from ebay, and especially direct from other countries...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

And if you look at their feedback it is mostly for items other than lasers, the only laser feedback is for 50 watt machines and from "past year" and is very non-specific feedback. A huge red flag when you are buying anything on eBay is when their feedback has nothing to do with what you are buying and looks generic enough that it could have been for just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Found 2 ads for the 100w machine, same seller, couldn't find any other such machines...

There's many things wrong with these ads:

1st: only 12 sales and not the best feedback-
    sinfo.jpg

2nd, there's 3 different machines depicted in one ad, 2 machines in the second,
    all pics should be of the same machine--

3rd: 2nd ad pic of the laser source,
    left label, right label:
    lb2.jpg
    lb1.jpg
    I enlarged these on purpose,
    note below 'Raycus' on both labels,
    there's no pixels-- info has been erased...

I'm not wanting anyone to feel bad, I'm just making note that this is the 'due diligence' necessary when buying pretty much
    ANYthing from ebay, and especially direct from other countries...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Bond Sr. View Post
    Well, PayPal will back you in the fact that you will get all your money back when you ship it back to the seller.
    However they will not cover any part of the return shipping costs. Unless the seller is willing to pay for the return shipping, you’d have to fork over (in my case) 2k in shipping to recoup your money.

My seller seems to know this and has emailed saying they’ll take the unit back but I have to pay for shipping. All the while not admitting to it being a lesser unit.

The last email being “We already send you 100W certificate, per machine with per certificate.

if you don't like, why not return.

you open paypal case first, but don't return. this time also need to return then refund!

also your machine is customized order, we marked on paypal invoice. we can't refund your full payment, once you return.“

Their “certificate” was the fda paperwork.... hand written.

I replied that the unit doesn’t draw the power a 100watt unit draws and that the laser source itself is too small dimensionally to be a 100watt unit. If they want the unit, they will pay for return shipping.

So far, no reply back from them. Shocker....

As far as wondering what wattage unit you have my suggestion is to measure the laser source box that is inside the enclosure.

Idk about all laser units out there but mines on rails and I can unlock the case and slide it open to expose the controllers and laser source.

It’s pretty easy to measure and reference the size off Raycus’s tech specs.

Mine measures 260x391x120 which is the 10-30w class units.

A 100watt should be like 396x360x123

Or as others suggested (and I have tried out) is measure the power draw with a meter like a “kill-a-watt” or a multimeter with an amp clamp.

At the end of the day, PayPal wasn’t helpful at all so I called my bank and filed a dispute. I provided them all the documents I had including pictures and emails and they said it’s a pretty cut and dry case and it will take 10-45 days to resolve.

So, it’s been a goat rope for sure.

I wish you luck with PayPal credit. Idk if their policies are different but I hope it works out for you!
    Thank you for the reply, I will be looking at the Raycus box today and take some measurements and pix. The company has been responsive through Whatsapp, but kinda skirts around certain questions. I had advised them that I was going to verify the unit and they said to look at label on the enclosure. I said that is a label created by them and not Raycus. There label shows the model as the 100W machine and the complete description used in the PayPal invoice shows we purchased a 100W unit as well as other lens, rotary, etc... They took while to get it shipped out due to the Chinese New Year. Once open again, they shipped the unit DHL Express and only issue we had was at customs due to lack of documentation provided by seller. Took a few days to get me the FDA numbers required for the form then shipment was released pretty quick. Packaged very nice in wood crate, nice looking unit, just not as powerful or fast as I was hoping. Laser makes minimal noise when engraving and small beam from laser. Anything using hatch takes forever, even if just a single pass. Not sure if we can upload video here, but I can if it is supported? Thank you to everyone that has responded thus far!

Rob
    www.saratogawepaons.com
    Saratoga Weapons And Tactical - SWAT