Someone once asked on this forum if they should get a small shop at home, or go for a larger shop off-site. I am moving my home shop out and trading up to a full size, dedicated, professional shop. It is bitter-sweet. The pros are easy: huge shop, stationary tools, not having to clean up mid-project and then set everything back up. The cons are that you no longer have all your tools in one place, and have to travel to the shop to work. Late night work when you have an extra hour before bed is not as easy with the away shop.

This weekend I will be breaking the home shop down. I’m keeping a small bench and a number of home repair tools. I will keep a pancake compressor, small drill press, and a portable table saw at home. Not having the Roubo bench at home is going to be a bummer, but I am winding down the restoration project, and I find less and less home-related uses for it, so it’s going to the big shop.

I will keep some sharpening gear at home since I have enough to supply an army. I will also keep a few clamps and a decent automotive tool kit, although car and bike work will now also be done at the big shop.

Fortunately the new shop is only two miles away. Ultimately it’s better having a large shop, but I will still have a nook at home with a small bench, so it’s not 100% giving up the home shop. I am gaining back a 12x16 room and 3/4 bathroom. The room will become an art and music room with a small library.