Thread: Gloat: I got a Woodtek 5hp 12” slider

Blog Entries

Gloat: I got a Woodtek 5hp 12” slider

It started out as going with a friend to buy some plywood. It ended up with me buying a 5hp sliding saw and dust collector. The saw came with outfeed table with custom cabinets, lots of blades, a 1” and 5/8” arbor, slider, dust collector wired to switch, and the usual miter gauges and things. He also threw in a spare 5hp motor, which we are toying with ideas for. Cost was $1400. We decided to keep the Unisaw as a dedicated dado saw, and back it up to the outfeed for this saw. I love the setup, although it is up against a wall on one side, but we have plenty of room for the dado side, and we can always add a dado to the Woodtek if we need more room for a large piece.

My partner in crime does a lot of slabs, so he needs this more than I do. We split the cost. I have 7 sets of mahogany doors to build, plus doors and shutters for my own home. The 12” is really nice for the rough sawn 8/4 plus mahogany I frequently rip.

Here she is set up, sans dust collector, and missing some of the cabinetry below. I had to tweak everything first. It badly needs a new blade, which I hope to pick up tomorrow.

60DBD5B3-B0F0-4597-995D-F9BEB2CE1021.jpg The orange triangle was made by previous owner and is just to keep people from tripping over the support when the table is folded in.
    BF1A9D3A-5AB8-403B-8A81-F9D319011272.jpg Cutting a panel of mahogany.

The Unisaw runs the other way, sharing outfeed. Although width is limited, it would be rare that we need more.
    C3202B12-9BEE-46E4-94A8-B323BFC82B34.jpg

The new shop is coming along nicely. More to come.

Blog Entries
    Just realized Mark had his water bottle sitting on the saw table in that last pic. Remind me to kick him for that.

Looking good. I've had real good luck with Woodtek equipment. It's the store brand for Woodworkers Supply, which you don't hear a lot about compared to Woodcraft, and other larger chains. They had one of their two stores (not sure how many they have now) not too far from me, so when I needed a piece of equipment, I just ran over there, and bought one. Woodworkers Supply is really good to deal with. I ordered a Woodtek mortiser, and it showed up with a cracked base. They had a new base to me the second day after a short discussion on the phone.

I'm sure it will work good for you. If it needs a part, Woodworkers Supply should have it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Looking good. I've had real good luck with Woodtek equipment. It's the store brand for Woodworkers Supply, which you don't hear a lot about compared to Woodcraft, and other larger chains. They had one of their two stores (not sure how many they have now) not too far from me, so when I needed a piece of equipment, I just ran over there, and bought one. Woodworkers Supply is really good to deal with. I ordered a Woodtek mortiser, and it showed up with a cracked base. They had a new base to me the second day after a short discussion on the phone.

I'm sure it will work good for you. If it needs a part, Woodworkers Supply should have it.
    Thanks, Tom; I wasn’t aware it was their house brand. I was skeptical, but this kind of saw almost never comes available here, and ya gotta strike while the iron is hot. It seems well-made, and was easy to disassemble and reassemble. Complete reassembly, including shimming it to the hump in the floor, and getting the Unisaw to match up, as well as routing new groves for the miter slot for the Unisaw, took 2 hours. The fence is easy to use and dead on after setting up properly.

I have a friend that uses that same saw, without the sliding attachment, and he really likes it. He needed some parts for his, missing when he bought it used, and they had them. Most of the Woodtek stuff is very heavily built, but you don't hear much about it because they don't have it sitting many places for people to see.

That saw is a knockoff of the old Delta/Rockwell 12 or 12/14 design. Pretty solid build and parts and castings from the originals may still fit. That design was copied and badged for many Taiwan brands. Dave

Nice! Had a Minimax that was similar, shinned myself on that support arm a bunch of times in the first month. I taped a pillow to it until I got used to it.

Funny: I was in shop last week and they had that EXACT same sliding attachment. It was on a Delta but color was the same green color.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Malcolm,
    What did you do, make a deal with the devil or something? Last week you found a 150 year old tool box and this week it's a deal on a slider! Dude, you have some truly amazing luck right now. You need to go buy some lottery tickets, or go rent a metal detector and search for buried treasure or something, while it lasts!

Now seriously, good for you man!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Malcolm,
    What did you do, make a deal with the devil or something? Last week you found a 150 year old tool box and this week it's a deal on a slider! Dude, you have some truly amazing luck right now. You need to go buy some lottery tickets, or go rent a metal detector and search for buried treasure or something, while it lasts!

Now seriously, good for you man!
    Fred
    Actually, it’s the same guy I got the hand tools from. He is closing shop. He has an old Delta radial arm saw as well, but I have spent enough for now. Still looking for a shaper. By the way, I am a treasure hunter as well. We have found some cool wrecks that I would have to kill you if I told you any more about them. Hey, where do you think I get all the money for these things? ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Funny: I was in shop last week and they had that EXACT same sliding attachment. It was on a Delta but color was the same green color.

Erik
    The saw is exactly the same height as a Unisaw, and the attachment only requires a few holes in the edge of the top and in the side. I could easily see it being adapted. It does adjust for height as well.