Thread: Black walnut

Black walnut

I will be in south west Missouri February 7-12. Any suggestions where I might pick some black walnut blanks or logs. Thanks for looking.

check their local Craig's list and FB market place. And look up local sawmills.

Any limitations/risks on moving black walnut now that we have 1000 canker disease?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stephan View Post
    Any limitations/risks on moving black walnut now that we have 1000 canker disease?
    It depending on the area being moved from and to. Where quarantined you can't move wood with bark but you can move lumber that is dry.

Check the quarantine areas and for the various states. This is one description of restrictions from a few years ago. Note it includes "green lumber".

"The quarantine restricts the movement of all walnut material including nursery stock, budwood, scionwood, green lumber and firewood. It also covers other walnut material living, dead, cut or fallen including stumps, roots, branches, mulch and composted and uncomposted chips."

Contact Larry, the president of Southwest Missouri Woodturners and he might be able to set you up. They often have members that have a tree down. First I would check that there are no travel restrictions. If you wanted wood that was already processed there is a wood supplier right off I-44 about ten miles west of Springfield. The name escapes me but they supply lots of exotic stuff for guitar builders and lots of local stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frank View Post
    If you wanted wood that was already processed there is a wood supplier right off I-44 about ten miles west of Springfield. The name escapes me but they supply lots of exotic stuff for guitar builders and lots of local stuff as well.
    This might be the place Don is referring to:

https://www.rosewoodarchery.com/shop
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Two places I have bought from are; UTC Hardwoods in Branson, and OP Hardwoods in Springfield.

Depending on your sense of adventure, the southern edge of the Ozark Plateau thru NW Arkansas (~ Mountainburg, AR to Harrison AR) has a number of scattered mills. Might let you browse the off-cuts, odds, and shorts for little if any cost..?? Lumber will probably mean fairly large quantity to make it worth their while. They tend to move suddenly, so would hate to recommend specific ones.

Adventurous 4x4 is highly recommended. My last trip, I had a flat on a steep; ruined the tire getting to a place flat enough to change it. Fun anyway.