Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phase converter specifically phase perfect question..

Phase converter specifically phase perfect question..

Ok I’ll try and keep this one simple.

I have two new/old machines both three phase. One 7hp the other 7.5-9hp. Yeah don’t ask I can’t figure out how it’s two horsepower’s?

I’m buying a 10 hp phase perfect. The manufacturer saiz it needs 60-70 amps to run the unit.

I have a 100 amp service now totally maxed out regarding breakers. I’ve already done the sub panel.

So in that maxed out 100 amp service I have two separate 30 amp breakers. One runs my tablesaw one runs my shaper. Well the shaper is gone and sold, the tablesaw I still have. I intend that when I get my new sliding saw up and running the tablesaw will also go.

So the question. If I no longer have the need for the two 30amp single phase breakers as I’m replacing the two machines they powered with three phase machines do I really need a panel upgrade or will I have the 60-70 amps available needed to power my phase perfect and thus my tow three phase machines.

Being I only run one machine at a time in my shop baring a dust collector. My dust collector is single phase shouldn’t I be fine with my 100 amp service.

Hope that all makes sense?

I ran a 15hp (not PP, because that's too much money) off a 60amp circuit. my hard start was a 7.5hp DD planer, only when cold did I have issues.

I’m buying it used.

So I am thinking right then.

The 10 hp phase converter needs 60-70 amps to generate 10 horses of three phase power.

So it goes something like main panel. Seventy amps of breakers dedicated and run out to say a knife shutoff in front of the phase perfect. Then the phase perfect with a sub pan;e out of it with whatever lines I need out of it to my machines. So in my case the sub panel after the phase perfect would have whatever size breakers needed in it to power my machine. So long as I run one machine at a time I’m all good. I could even put knife shutoffs at the machines as if they were hardwired.

Am I making sense or is this getting scary.

I’m gonna have a electrician instal the phase perfect but if I don’t need the panel upgrade I’m gonna be In a way better situation than I thought.

I do seem to think I have seen a number of people instal there own phase converters however.

Can’t be to hard if your just coming out to the panel to a knife shutoff then to phase converter then out of the phase converter to the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I ran a 15hp (not PP, because that's too much money) off a 60amp circuit. my hard start was a 7.5hp DD planer, only when cold did I have issues.

You are pushing it, but I think you know that you know that or you wouldn't be asking. Sure, you can run a 60 amp breaker in place of the two 30's. Might even give you an open slot in the panel.

Patrick — I have the 10HP Phase Perfect Unit which I recently installed in my new shop and it is set-up almost exactly as you described. I have a 70 amp double pole breaker in the main panel which connects to a cutoff switch via 6AWG THHN wire. Then the output of the cutoff switch feeds the input to the phase perfect unit. The output of the phase perfect feeds a 3-phase sub-panel, and then individual breakers in the 3-phase panel are dedicated to each 3-phase machine (table saw, drum saner, planer, etc ...). Only one machine running at a time, and my largest motor is currently 7.5HP.

I installed everything myself, and if you are familiar with electrical wiring it’s not terribly difficult. Hardest part was mounting the phase perfect to the wall by myself as it’s a tad heavy and a little cumbersome.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Just a 100amp service to the house? Or down off main panel in house?

The first, yes, but you are really close to the edge.

Second no worries.

Hmm,

Really stinks I’m 10 amps short.

I’m sure it will be fine on 60 amps but darn what a bummer.

Good to hear the instal is so easy as I could really really use the savings.

To think I may be up and running with three phase by months end is very exciting. I have been waiting for new,ray two years to make a cut with the Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Patrick — I have the 10HP Phase Perfect Unit which I recently installed in my new shop and it is set-up almost exactly as you described. I have a 70 amp double pole breaker in the main panel which connects to a cutoff switch via 6AWG THHN wire. Then the output of the cutoff switch feeds the input to the phase perfect unit. The output of the phase perfect feeds a 3-phase sub-panel, and then individual breakers in the 3-phase panel are dedicated to each 3-phase machine (table saw, drum saner, planer, etc ...). Only one machine running at a time, and my largest motor is currently 7.5HP.

I installed everything myself, and if you are familiar with electrical wiring it’s not terribly difficult. Hardest part was mounting the phase perfect to the wall by myself as it’s a tad heavy and a little cumbersome.

My house has a 100 amp service.

Electric stove central air.

Small hose though and I have never ever been able to trip the circuit on anything even mid summer when working in my sho. I can run the 5hp dust collector, then two 4hp machines at the same time and I have been totally fine.

But this is probably a tad different being I’ll be asking for my main panel to draw 60 amps to the phase converter. Or is the phase converter actually only using 60 amps is the,canines it’s connected to it are in need of the full 60 amps.

But regardless I’m 10 amps short with nothing I can just get rid of. I could replace my electric stove with a gas stove as I have natural gas and that would free up a 50amp breaker. But that’s a slippery slope as the plumber will cost like a electrician then the stove I want is stupid expensive then I need a new kitchen and dragging a new stove into a kitchen that won’t get renovated for another 3-5 years makes zero sense.

Just a 100amp service to the house? Or down off main panel in house?

The first, yes, but you are really close to the edge.

Second no worries.

Water heater? Dryer? might have to be careful what's running at the same time. It won't matter if you turn enough stuff off.

The additional input amperage allows for a cushion when starting machines that spike the amperage but I doubt your saw will need it. I can run a PP off a 50 amp breaker for my 9 hp SCMI slider with scoring. DC is on a separate circuit. The 70 amp input assures that a 10 hp hard starting machine can be run but you can get by with less. The PP will use less amps than an rpc of similar size so you will be fine with your minimum amps unless the rest of the house is using too many at the same time. Dave

My 15hp drew like 7amps just idling.

Its rated for inrush, which can be high.

60amp feed will be fine.

And how do people feel about setting up these converters without a electrician.

I think by now people round here get a idea of what I can and can’t do.

On a side note I can’t help after last night show wanting to go about and get myself a hot pink suit cowboy boots and cowboy hat.

I know left field.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    And how do people feel about setting up these converters without a electrician.

I think by now people round here get a idea of what I can and can’t do.

On a side note I can’t help after last night show wanting to go about and get myself a hot pink suit cowboy boots and cowboy hat.

I know left field.
    Not very difficult really.

I figured.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

You should all expect a letter from my layer in no time lol..

Not very difficult really.

I have 100 amps to my shop, and my biggest draw is a 7.5-HP lathe. I have #3 wire to the Phase Perfect's subpanel. I'm pretty sure I have the Phase Perfect on a 60-amp breaker. If it draws too much power, hey, that's what the breaker is for. Until it pops, I consider the circuit more than adequate.

I didn't "install" my Phase Perfect. I created an outlet and plugged it in.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.