Thread: Paint finish for TV stand with glaze, advice needed

Paint finish for TV stand with glaze, advice needed

I have a TV stand I built that is dyed and finished with Clear Deft Poly. It's maybe 15 years old. We are moving and it needs to be painted with a glaze. I spray nearly everything but I've never painted any furniture. The TV that will sit on top has two legs, each that have two small contact points, so the TV which is like 70 lbs will sit on maybe four 1/2" diameter points.

The deft is strong and has not been an issue. What paint should I use that would be hard like the deft? I assume I will be spraying with a compressor driven HVLP. What tip size if you know, thanks.

Also, what kind of coverage would I expect? The stand is 24 deep, 20 high, and 66 wide. Drawers and inside the compartments to be painted too.

Thanks...joe

Folks might differ on this but if you’re looking for extra durability I would put a clear coat over the paint, with the Deft or similar water based poly. If you scratch the surface, it will have to get through the clear coat before it affects the paint. That way you don’t have to worry too much about finding the perfect paint. First I would give it a light/moderate sanding and quick clean.

I can’t speak to your spraying questions but I’m sure someone else can.