Thread: Grizzly GO 442 cyclone dust collector motor problem

Grizzly GO 442 cyclone dust collector motor problem

My dust collector motor just quit. Sort of started up once almost like a "soft start' then kicked in to full speed. This happened twice in last two days of use. Then when I switched it on again it started to go and just quit. The breaker had tripped,I reset it and tried again same thing. I have pulled the fan cover off end of motor and everything spins freely just as it should. At this point I suspect capacitors,how do you test/figure out if that is the problem. I pulled the switch cover to see if there was dust inside and blew it out.There was almost no dust anyway. Need to figure this out fast as I am building cabinets for a client and need my DC. Thanks,Mike.

Spin it up to speed by hand and turn it on. If it speeds up and runs like normal the start capacitor or start switch is bad. Do let it run more then one minute with no restriction on input or it may overheat.
    I assume this is single phase?
    Bill D

Most of the cap failures I have had you could see swelling or leakage.

MK

Cap testers can be purchased from amazon for about $20. Replacement capacitors can be purchased from grizzly for about $25.

MK

I opened up the capacitor enclosure and they both look like new on the outside. Motor is 5 hp single phase.

Check ebay for caps. Should be under $10 for both. Since they look good I suspect the centrifugal switch. Many Asian motor makers use under voltage caps and they fail sooner then they should.

For 120 volt RMS. you need 170 volts
    For 240 volt RMS you need 340 volts.
    These are bare minimum I suggest 400 volt or better. More voltage costs only a few cents more.
    Bill D

Bill I was just on Grizzly's web site and looked up there part list. Start capacitor is 400m250v nd the run capictor is 40m450v. It is wired 240v. So if it is the centrifugal switch would that cause it to kick the breaker ? It has kicked the breaker three times now. That kind of worries me that more is going on than capacitors,centrifugal switch etc.

How long does it take for the breaker to trip? Is it instant or take a second or maybe several seconds?

How often do you start and stop it? On and off for each operation or run continuously through the day? How many starts per hour?

Do you vent outside or use the filter?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Breaker trips in like 10 seconds or so. I group work as much as possible trying to run it 1/2 hour or more without start/stopping it but I probably still end up with 2-3 starts an hour. I use a filter,where I live it would cost me a fortune at -30 to vent outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Breaker trips in like 10 seconds or so. I group work as much as possible trying to run it 1/2 hour or more without start/stopping it but I probably still end up with 2-3 starts an hour. I use a filter,where I live it would cost me a fortune at -30 to vent outside.
    Probably the start capacitor or the centrifugal switch. I would change the start cap first, it's the easiest thing to do. If that doesn't fix it the next thing is the centrifugal switch. You need to remove the back cover of the motor to get to it.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Hauled the motor in to a motor repair shop today. It was the centrifugal switch contacts. They got replaced. So another weird thing about this TEFC motor is well it is not totally enclosed. the centrifugal switch is right under the fan on the end of the motor outside the enclosure. Tech guy at the motor shop told me to blow it out with compressed air about once a week while it is running. Thanks for all advice.