Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally Insane, Ridiculously Over Engineered, X-Y T-Track DRO Drill Press Table

Totally Insane, Ridiculously Over Engineered, X-Y T-Track DRO Drill Press Table

Sometimes a tool project takes on a life of its own. This is one of those cases where at some point I was in too deep to just let it go and I had to make the thing that was an idea I had been toying with for almost a year. The genesis of this crazy thing Ii have made came about while cruising tools on Amazon when I came across this Milling Machine Compound Drilling Slide Table For Bench Drill Adjustment X-Y.
    718Dcca29vL._SL1384_.jpg
    The thing is tiny and made to fit on a small benchtop Drill Press but I could see some interesting possibilities for replacing my run of the mill Drill Press table I made shortly after I purchased my Nova Voyager a couple years ago. So I started researching how I could build something that did the same thing but was as large as my existing 20" X 30" DP Table. As it happened I had also been casually shopping for CNC machines and the genesis of an idea to use off the shelf CNC parts was born. Long story short I ended up settling on a series of heavy duty 20mm CNC parts and my basic design was driven by the available T-Track Extrusions I could find that wouldn't break the bank. That was a 250mm flat 8mm T-Track Extrusion form Misumi.

Part of the process was to draw the entire thing in Sketchup to make sure I could actually build it. This went through several iterations and all through the drawing process I was ordering parts to solve the various challenges that building out my idea was presenting me. Prototyping anything is always a process of making mistakes and finding solutions for them and that went on throughout the build process. I won't bore you with the details but the final Sketchup drawing is a result of correcting several miscalculations.

X-Y_Table.jpg

So anyway, I present to you for your amusement my Totally Insane, Ridiculously Over Engineered, X-Y T-Track DRO Drill Press Table for your enjoyment and or ridicule. I haven't added up what it totally cost to build but my guess is it is probably north of $500.

Insane1.jpg

Insane2.jpg Insane3.jpg Insane4.jpg

I fully intend to edit a build video from footage I took while building this monstrosity and probably a build document for anyone that might want to tackle it. The one thing that surprised me during the build was just how flipping heavy it was. When I finally completed it I weighed it on my big shipping scale and it is a whopping 96lbs 12oz or just a hair under 44kg. That's pretty heavy but my Nova Voyager is handling it with ease. (The table is primarily designed to use spoil boards with the T-Track.)

Because the DP Table is so heavy I started pondering how I could reduce the weight. After considering several design changes an alternate design started rolling around in my head for a version that is X movement only which will probably reduce the weight by around 50% or more by eliminating the long upper rails and ball screw. This version would incorporate a central integrated replaceable 50mm wide spoil board by replacing the center 250mm wide T-Track with two 100mm wide T-Track. I haven't had time to do a drawing of that yet since I just finished up building the one shown here but that is high on my agenda. Before I actually build that one though I want to get some time in using the existing table.

Last but not least here are some photos of some of the parts used and the assembled bottom mechanism. The ATP5 Aluminum plate I used is actually vertically cast and milled flat and is very nice to work with. The price from where I'm getting it is very reasonable.

BallScrew.jpg BottomMechanism.jpg

-- Tom
    Last edited by Tom Dixon; 01-27-2020 at 7:02 AM.

That is neat!! And beautifully done!

Do you use endmills in your drillpress, or what's the application where you'll be using this?

Awesome. I want one!

Edit: Quick... delete this thread! Mr. Holcombe will have one in titanium with fusion powered 2700Hp nano-servos, and laser guided atomic clock DRO - accurate to 0.000000000000000000000001" (give or take a little).
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-26-2020 at 9:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Awesome. I want one!
    Me too!

Hey Tom, where did you buy the DRO components?

After seeing your work, I think I need to send all of my metal stock to you and quit pretending.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    That is neat!! And beautifully done!

Do you use endmills in your drillpress, or what's the application where you'll be using this?
    Thanks! I don't currently use end mills but I suppose that I could. The Nova Voyager has a way to lock the quill so that is something I might try.

My real purpose was to be able to move the work piece to the drill bit in a precise way while clamped to the table. Also to move the fence forward with linear motion instead of manually so the work orientation doesn't change. These capabilities would have made building this DP table way easier.

That is slick if it’s accurate like a Halcombe built it.

My new job requires lots and lots of very accurate hole drilling. I think my co workers would love this.

Kinda seems like just get a mill but mills are huge. Commercial space is very expensive in Boston so this is kinda attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Me too!

Hey Tom, where did you buy the DRO components?

After seeing your work, I think I need to send all of my metal stock to you and quit pretending.

JKJ
    Ha! I normally make sawdust. I just just drill holes in aluminum sometimes to make a tool. It makes a mess though. Really, drilling is almost all the fabrication it takes to make this except trimming the plates you're drilling holes into the exact size on a table saw.

I'm going to put together a parts list with cost and sourcing this week for anyone that is interested in making their own. I put the link to the Sketchup drawing collection in the 3D Warehouse in the original post. I'm also going to make some notes on things to watch out for. after that I'll do a drawing in the next week or so for the variation I have in mind.

Tom, I - for one - would definitely like to see the parts list and notes!

Over engineering is the BEST!
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Awesome! thx for sharing this with us!!!
    I was thinking of it for mild milling of wood, such as a mortice... easy to make large loose tenons.. but was thinking, do most drill presses have quills that can handle force in side direction...I would think not. Interesting the NOVA allows for this... hmmmm...

Also, I agree with the convienece of moving the work piece directly to the where the bit hits your x mark. But with a drill press table n clamps, this can still be done without too much hassle, although it would be easier if we had 3 hands.

If one was available, I would prob buy it, just cause I love well made gadgets!
    Must have been a fun project...

Do not use it for milling the arbor will fall out from side loading. You have to have a drawbar up the quill to hold a milling arbor or collet. At best the arbor will slip and the depth of cut will be off.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do not use it for milling the arbor will fall out from side loading. You have to have a drawbar up the quill to hold a milling arbor or collet. At best the arbor will slip and the depth of cut will be off.
    Bil lD.
    That totally makes sense.

You could still probably just set a depth stop and go to a depth, back off, move the table, rinse and repeat and thus eliminate the side load.

Blog Entries
    I love the Nova, but you can get a mini-mill for less than the cost of a Nova plus X-Y table. Great engineering/fabrication though.
    NOW you tell me...

I have never seen a Bridgeport mill with a drill press head. Seems like a easy conversion, even mount on the back of the ram. I have seen a few main bodies complete with everything except the head. Not a good idea to drill through the table since there are moving parts below.
    Years ago I did see something like a Bridgeport clone with a factory drill press head. It was rusting away outside at a used tool dealer. I think some vital bits were gone, like maybe the quill. It was made in Taiwan, 1970's green color. Lighter built then a mill, probably under 1,000 pounds. Something like an Arboga but belt drive.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-27-2020 at 9:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Very nice looking piece of equipment. Just be aware that those ball slides don't like dirt, dust or metal chips........
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute