Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough Cut Cherry Board Ends Darker and Less Dense

Rough Cut Cherry Board Ends Darker and Less Dense

I'm beginning my most ambitious project to date, dining chairs, and I'm currently in the process of initial jointing/planing to establish my boards. I'm using 8/4 rough cut cherry to get to 1 1/2 inch boards. I got a great price on a number of "off-cut" 8 foot boards, and I'm encountering something I've never seen in my short woodworking career. I'd like some help understanding what it is.

In the picture the left piece is what I consider to be "normal" cherry and the right is the "darker/less dense" cherry. The picture messes with the color a bit, the left board has a the light red hue I expect, while in person the right board is closer to reddish brown.

Both of these pieces are from the same 8 foot board. 2/3 of it cuts and planes like standard cherry, the latter 1/3 or so is this darker appearance. When cross cutting instead of a nice smooth cut, the darker cherry has a rough porous appearance. These boards have all been kiln dried. Is the darker the cherry the beginnings of dry rot which was stopped in the kiln? I'm assuming it's unusable. Does anyone know what this is?
    Cherry2.jpgcherry1.jpgCherry3.jpg

Blog Entries
    If those two pieces came from the same board, it appears that they were cut from a very small tree. The darker color could be because the tree was already dead before it was cut down. The two worm holes would worry me.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The darker one doesn't look like cherry to me. You say they are both cut from the same board but they don't have the same grain so I don't understand how you cut them from the same board. Did you cut them from the same board or did someone else? Also, there is no white sap wood next to the bark on the right board. Looks like a mahogany to me.

Can't explain the density difference, but Cherry will darken with age.

I acquired some from my father that's at least 30y.o., and it's nearly the color of b.walnut. The color contrast to 'new' cherry is such that I would not mix them in a project.

I use cherry allot. Seems to darken fast for about 1-2 years and then slows down. I have no explanation for the two tones though. I will mention that the light one does have the pith in it. I would not try to build furniture with it, as the pith is very unstable.

I have about 6 8 foot cherry boards. Some have a lot of sapwood and bark still attached. The wood in question is all from same 8 foot board as shown in two pictures. I sectioned it myself based on the final piece length I needed and the size of my planer sled. It looks like some people call this "red rot" or "brown rot"? In the one picture you can see some mold on the outside edge. This was originally in the middle of the board, but it split in two where the mold was located. I can guarantee that this is all locally grown Pennsylvania cherry.

cherry4.jpg
    Cherry5.jpg
    Cherry6.jpg

The picture of the re-assembled board shows that it was cut from a log with quite a curve in it. I have also seen contrast in wood tones among pieces from the same cherry board although not to the extent you have. The "slightly" porous section might still be used for non-appearance applications. It does not seem to have gone soft. Best of luck!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Color difference may be sun exposure. Cherry does not exactly darken with age. It darkens with sunlight exposure. If you stack a board such that part of it is exposed to sunlight and the rest is not, it would darken like that. But density should not reduce. That is more of a concern.

I built a kitchen island for my last house. All the boards I used for drawer fronts and had been rejected by the contractors who bought wood at the dealer I got them from. So they had been there longer and were darker. Figured wood is harder to plane and work with in general but has a better appearance when I was done. But it was not lighter. If anything it was heavier and more dense.

If the dark areas are soft, I would not use the wood. If they are not, I would weigh them carefully to double check your density observation. If they are truly less dense, I wouldn't use them for anything structural but might for something like a panel in a door. But nothing on a chair.

I just made a bed and a couple nightstands of cherry. I like it. Like maple it burns easily if your blade is dirty or fence not well aligned or your feed rate is too slow. But otherwise it works well. And it looks great when you are done. I made my daughter 4 chairs of cherry using Woodsmith plans and they are holding up great. I plan to make some for myself later this year (I plan to make the dining table first).

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    The picture of the re-assembled board shows that it was cut from a log with quite a curve in it.
    +1. There's a reason you got the great price on that lumber. That log as Dave mentioned had a large bow in it and probably has internal stresses that will work against you. I would worry about the stability of the wood in the upper portion of the board as it is an extreme plain sawn piece where as the bottom of the board is more quarter sawn. And as mentioned the pith is still in the bottom piece. That will need to be removed.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

The darker and lighter weight are indicative of some level of decay/rot in the tree. I get a fair amount of this when
    I get non- wholesale supplier wood.

Blog Entries
    I will add that cherry, like walnut and others, comes in a variety of hues. I mark my cherry,walnut and white oak with "batch" letters before I put it in the racks. This saves me time when I am pulling boards for parts selection. I know that all the boards in batch B have similar coloration and all the boards in batch D have similar coloration although they may be very different from each other.

GnG Low CoD (10).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-26-2020 at 7:15 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I plan on using the Quarter Sawn sections for the front legs. I have separate "prime" 8/4 heartwood which I bought for the rear legs, and it's in great shape. The crest rail for the chair is about 14" long. Is pith a complete no go for anything at all, even something that short?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fiore View Post
    I plan on using the Quarter Sawn sections for the front legs. I have separate "prime" 8/4 heartwood which I bought for the rear legs, and it's in great shape. The crest rail for the chair is about 14" long. Is pith a complete no go for anything at all, even something that short?

If you really mean pith, this is a no-go. If you mean sapwood, many avoid it but, I have used it for decorative purposes.

Media Cabinet (168).jpgMedia Cabinet (169).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cherry will darken with age. Sunlight just speeds up that process. Without getting my hands on the material, I would guess that your porous areas are some sort of rot. I've seen variances like this in trees that were harvested well after falling or dying. Personally, I wouldn't build an "ambitious" project with questionable material as my time and effort are the most expensive components of any of my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Color difference may be sun exposure. Cherry does not exactly darken with age. It darkens with sunlight exposure.
    I don't know the chemistry, but I have also heard oxygen causes it. What I do know is I have cut and used some of the 'old' cherry I have. The color goes completely through the board(s). It is uniformly dark, relative to newly milled 'light' cherry, and I'm semi-sure that the interior of the board has not been lounging at the pool when I wasn't looking
    .... It started out life in the light range.

Other than a couple of moves and the 2-3 minute trip to<>from the truck, the exterior of these boards has never seen the light of day either..?