Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Table Saw Kickback

If you make sense of the subject like these guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KBGv-LCKeg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Oh sigh....

Sure tablesaw are dangerous. So aren’t most Woodworking machines. I’m not suggesting to be reckless but I just don’t get the safety you no what’s. Imop fear is more dangerous than anything maybe even stupidity.

So many things one can partake in “risky behavior or ventures” fear must be overcome. And before anyone saiz it a healthy respect and knowledge must still be applied, stupidly can take the place of fear.

All Im saying is it never seeses to amaze me how many people are truly afraid of tools. It’s like how can you not get over something you do ever day at some point.

Ok I’m gonna have to argue about this.

I prefer to rip on the tablesaw and I guess part of it is I’m just not the slightest scared of pretty much any machine.

When I climbed ice, Rick and alpine mountains it was a common knowledge that fear meant you were in over you head or operating outside of the boundaries of your abilities. I’m not suggesting that be the case for anyone here and surely not you Brian but I think the theory kinda holds water in most but not all cases.

As oppinion Ted as I am on the topic this is Woodworking and everyone should do what they feel safe doing and what they enjoy doing as the whole thing is about enjoying at the end of the day.
    Ah the English language. Words can have so many subtle differences in meaning. Scared? I agree with you, not so good to be debilitated by fear.
    But cautious? Maybe not so bad

So where does a given woodworker fall on the spectrum: Scared>Somewhat Frightened>Cautious>Supremely Confident>Fearlessly Macho

I've known a few woodworkers with missing digits and most of them sort of wore the last category or two like a badge. Of course their accidents were always due to factors that were not their fault. These guys are usually rabbits more than tortoises. If I may say so, maybe a dose of caution might have been in order.

I've also known some veteran woodworkers with all their digits and not a scar to show for. Those guys were closer to the middle and maybe even slightly left. They usually have patient methodical personalities. In other words, tortoises. Not so much in terms of speed but in terms of mentality and attitude.

My opinion - no shame in being a cautious (or maybe "cautiously confident") woodworker, and while I guess any subject can be over-discussed and over-analyzed, there are worse sins than discussing why machine accidents happen and how to prevent them. Maybe not a bad idea to watch others and study others' habits and make your own decision about where on the spectrum you'd like to be.

Edwin

Ed,

So we are saying the same thing.

The only differing of opinion would be my being annoyed by people whom interject their belief systems upon me others or the masses.

You know like that guy that always has something to say about how the other guy uses machines. Or that guy that always corrects your spelling knowing full well you can’t spell and never will be able to, or that guy that insists on correcting your grammar even though he knows you will never get it.

Or that guy that pretty much has to tell everyone how to do everything exactly like they do it.

That guy well that guy I’ll always speak up to in defense of myself.

I used to have this friend. He was a relentless recycler. I am also to be perfectly honest. But he was totally anti tin foil and anti styrofoam. You know I get it and for good reason. Much like straws they can’t be recycled and end up in a landfill for eternity.

Anyway I will sparingly use tin foil, whenever he would eat over if he ever saw a piece of tin foil I would hear about it. God forbid I threw it away he would fish it out of my trash. He would take it home with him and then reuse it for a multitude of purposes till it literally disintegrated. This was one of those guys I would come to figure out was unable and Unwilling to do anything anyone’s way but his own to the upteenth degree. He also corrected my spelling my grammar and on group bike rides would tell everyone how to ride there bike and where we would be going specifically each and every ride. Don’t want to wear a helmet he wouldn’t ride with you.

Point is have come across a number of these guys in my life. Often times these guys are also the workshop safety guys. You know, know it all types or complete herbs. I don’t say the last to be derogatory or anything full well knowing it is derogatory but to paint a picture as to my complete and total lack of tolerance I have for this type.

FYI I have all my fingers, if am anything I am the slow methodical executed type.

I’m also the come on guys get some dam work done type but you know..

But still I feel you and I are saying the same thing. Caution is not bad, fear is I would say, healthy respect not so much. Insisting others do as you do crazy super annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Ah the English language. Words can have so many subtle differences in meaning. Scared? I agree with you, not so good to be debilitated by fear.
    But cautious? Maybe not so bad

So where does a given woodworker fall on the spectrum: Scared>Somewhat Frightened>Cautious>Supremely Confident>Fearlessly Macho

I've known a few woodworkers with missing digits and most of them sort of wore the last category or two like a badge. Of course their accidents were always due to factors that were not their fault. These guys are usually rabbits more than tortoises. If I may say so, maybe a dose of caution might have been in order.

I've also known some veteran woodworkers with all their digits and not a scar to show for. Those guys were closer to the middle and maybe even slightly left. They usually have patient methodical personalities. In other words, tortoises. Not so much in terms of speed but in terms of mentality and attitude.

My opinion - no shame in being a cautious (or maybe "cautiously confident") woodworker, and while I guess any subject can be over-discussed and over-analyzed, there are worse sins than discussing why machine accidents happen and how to prevent them. Maybe not a bad idea to watch others and study others' habits and make your own decision about where on the spectrum you'd like to be.

Edwin
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 02-02-2020 at 1:44 PM.

Edwin
    After twenty+ years, I definitely see myself in this group. I was lucky enough to survive my early years with zero accidents. I try to to teach the young guys that 50 well planned cuts is both faster and safer than 100 rushed cuts.

Ed,

Point is have come across a number of these guys in my life. Often times these guys are also the workshop safety guys. You know know it all types or complete herbs. I don’t say the last to be derogatory or anything but I know it is but to paint a picture as to my complete and total lack of tolerance for the type.
    Cool that we agree. But dude, what are complete herbs? I swear I'm not being a spelling nazi or wise guy know it all. I'm genuinely into vernacular.
    I even googled it, but all that came up was a business called Herb's Complete Auto Repair.

Again, totally agree with you that none of us should force our workshop beliefs on others. Except maybe in the case of an employer who is enforcing safety for insurance and liability reasons. I can understand that.

Ed

100% agree on the boss. I was thinking it as I typed what I was saying but figured why go off on another tangent distracting from my message.

Hold on I’ll try and find a example of herb.

Cool that we agree. But dude, what are complete herbs? I swear I'm not being a spelling nazi or wise guy know it all. I'm genuinely into vernacular.
    I even googled it, but all that came up was a business called Herb's Complete Auto Repair.

Again, totally agree with you that none of us should force our workshop beliefs on others. Except maybe in the case of an employer who is enforcing safety for insurance and liability reasons. I can understand that.

Ed

LOL, this basically means I'm one for needing to have it defined.......

Oh well, there's not much of my ego left anyway,
    But at least I learned something new
    Ed

Oh come on give yourself a break.

Your probably just not like twenty lol..

Worse things to be but....

LOL, this basically means I'm one for needing to have it defined.......

Oh well, there's not much of my ego left anyway,
    But at least I learned something new
    Ed

Blog Entries
    I have a splitter on my saw. I made a wooden insert with a splitter on it.

It works.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    By limiting the height of the blade, you avoid more
    possible exposure. I have had no injuries since then.

Do you have any opinions on this. Just wondering.
    I like to set the saw blade based on how high it needs to be to make the cut and safety. For certain, not clearing the blade by much will limit exposure. On the other hand, my last kickback occurred while cutting a dado. Luckily I strongly controlled the kickback, but it still hurt.

I think that using other safety features are a huge help; for example, a riven knife.

As for blade height, however, it is my understanding that changing the height changes the angle of attack of the blade when it cuts and you can affect the quality of cut, especially in plywood. That said, I found that my plywood blade seems to do a good job regardless.