Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BenchCraft Vise and Crisscross

BenchCraft Vise and Crisscross

I've been working on the new 6' bench in addition to the older bench but because the face vise is so sweet on the new bench it is getting most of the love. The two benches are very similar except the old bench is 7' long vs. 6' for the new and the old bench has a wood screw and parallel guide vs. metal screw and crisscross on the new bench. Other than those two things the benches are pretty much alike.

Here is a short video of the vise in use, The bench was not finished and is out in the back garden at the time the video was made.

Because of tool storage I needed/wanted to swap places with the two benches. It was doable by myself because both benches are Moravian and I could remove the slabs then scoot the bases to their new position. It still kicked this old farts butt.

I still have a new BenchCraft Classic Vise screw and a Myers wagon vise on the shelf waiting for a new bench to be built but before that happens I have to lose a bench and it will not be the six footer. If anyone wants a 7' Beech Moravian bench with a Lake Eire wood screw and parallel guide, I have a deal for you.

ken

I just have to add: How do you like my OHSA approved safety sandals?

ken

I noticed the safety slippahs. The hardware looks like it's very nice.. as I'd expect from them. A lot easier than pinning the fulcrum I'd imagine.

I have been contemplating a Moravian bench...

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I noticed the safety slippahs. The hardware looks like it's very nice.. as I'd expect from them. A lot easier than pinning the fulcrum I'd imagine.

I have been contemplating a Moravian bench...
    Mike,

As I've said before, I'm a Moravian fan boy. There is nothing wrong with other styles but I think a Moravian fits the needs of the modern woodworker better. For the first timer the joints are simple and easy, It uses less wood for the same stability, it is portable and because of the simplicity a quick build. If you do decide to build a Moravian get the Will Myers video and do not make any changes, you will find after building a few and working on them there is a reason for almost every joint and part of the the build. And of course I'm just around the corner if you need/want help.

ken

Having worked extensively in W Africa, Indonesia and nearby locales, I am very familiar with Chinese safety shoes. And then there was the time I was in the Dominican Republic and saw a Haitian construction crew hand digging slab footings in coral with maddock and pick barefooted. An oil company rep showed up from Houston and was horrified nearly past recovery and started looking for a work boot dealer in Santo Domingo. MY BC leg vise is the most used vise on my bench and I would have it if I could only have one vise in the shop. I do have and use holdfasts, doe feet, stops and the like, but will readily say that I do prefer my tail vise for heavier (dimensioning type) planning. That is not used as often as the leg vise, but works very well when it is used.
    David

Wow Ken,

The vise is really impressive! The bench looks great too.

One question, what kind of lumber is the chop, is it the same as the bench top?

Thanks and regards,

Stew

If I was going to build a bench to stand at, I was really leaning toward the Moravian design. I agree that it looks like the best trade off of ease of build and good features to work at for most woodworkers, at least in my totally web based experiences of the benches.

I am Really enjoying the benchcrafted hardware on my low bench.

Blog Entries
    Impressive video Ken.

My plan on a leg vise was to make an array of three pins with springs that could be worked with a foot pedal to avoid the bending over all the time.

Now my thoughts are tending toward making a leg vise with a Crisscross.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-26-2020 at 2:17 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow, very impressive. And I love the sandels. I do worry about the lack of a mess, however. I spent the last week cleaning my shop, it was in dire need.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I just have to add: How do you like my OHSA approved safety sandals?

ken
    Good call. Having the toes fully exposed assures a clean amputation from a dropped chisel. A clean cut is child’s play to reattach. At least that’s what I read on the internet.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Having worked extensively in W Africa, Indonesia and nearby locales, I am very familiar with Chinese safety shoes. And then there was the time I was in the Dominican Republic and saw a Haitian construction crew hand digging slab footings in coral with maddock and pick barefooted. An oil company rep showed up from Houston and was horrified nearly past recovery and started looking for a work boot dealer in Santo Domingo. MY BC leg vise is the most used vise on my bench and I would have it if I could only have one vise in the shop. I do have and use holdfasts, doe feet, stops and the like, but will readily say that I do prefer my tail vise for heavier (dimensioning type) planning. That is not used as often as the leg vise, but works very well when it is used.
    David,

Mine was in Africa watching 55gal drums of jet fuel being loaded and unloaded from the bed of pickups with not a shoe in sight. I couldn't watch.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Wow Ken,

The vise is really impressive! The bench looks great too.

One question, what kind of lumber is the chop, is it the same as the bench top?

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    If I remember, it is Beech just like the slab.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    If I was going to build a bench to stand at, I was really leaning toward the Moravian design. I agree that it looks like the best trade off of ease of build and good features to work at for most woodworkers, at least in my totally web based experiences of the benches.

I am Really enjoying the benchcrafted hardware on my low bench.

Tony,

I never thought I would find anything better than a Lake Erie wood screw but the BC set up is better.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Impressive video Ken.

My plan on a leg vise was to make an array of three pins with springs that could be worked with a foot pedal to avoid the bending over all the time.

Now my thoughts are tending toward making a leg vise with a Crisscross.

jtk

Jim,

You can't go wrong and it is an easier build and install vs. a parallel guide of any kind.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Good call. Having the toes fully exposed assures a clean amputation from a dropped chisel. A clean cut is child’s play to reattach. At least that’s what I read on the internet.

Rob,

Quick feet have saved me a few times.

ken