Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering Festool CT SYS. Opinions needed

Considering Festool CT SYS. Opinions needed

Ok so I am looking at purchasing a Festool CT SYS for use solely with my RO125 Festool Rotex sander. I am trying to debate the merits of getting it or the Fein Turbo 1. The Fein is under $290 and the CT SYS is approx $395. The CFM on the CT SYS is around 106cfm and the Fein is around 151 CFM. This unit will function solely as a vac for my sander. The reason that I am leaning towards the Festool instead of the less expensive and greater capacity Turbo 1 is because the CT SYS’s hose will lock into the port on my RO125 with power too which will help the pain in the butt factor with my current setup which is me having to delicately hold the hose in one hand and sander in the other to keep it from coming out. Plus the power cord always gets in the way. Another advantage to the Festool CT SYS is the ability to purchase the arm that holds the hose over and above the sanding area. Just not sure if going the CT SYS route would be worth the premium especially considering the price differences once the accessories are factored in and the fact that the Fein is 151cfm and the Festool is 106cfm. What do you guys think?

For your stated application, the Festool CT SYS is a more integrated setup and that can be an advantage for a dedicated setup. IMHO. The CFM different isn't going to matter much here because for vacuum applications, static pressure is more where it's at, unlike with larger DCs which are totally based on how much air they can move through larger duct/hose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I purchased this hose on Amazon and the adapter fits my Festool Tools perfectly. Cen-Tec Systems 94192 16 Ft. Hose for Home and Shop Vacuums with Multi-Brand Power Tool Adapter for Dust Collection, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NZZZ5ZL..._fJBlEb5NY4JTT
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

How about the new CT15? It's only $350 but it doesnt ship for another month or two I think.

I use the Midi for my sanders but the functionality are the same. I do not think you can use the boom arm directly on the sander, you would need to mount something else somehow.

Let's dissect the benefits you think the ct-sys will bring:

1. your current hose doesn't secure to the ro150. PIA for sure. And while the ct-sys will remedy that, so would a lot of other options. The festool hose (and connector) can be had separately to use with almost any vac. Then there's the hose Clark links, and there's even the Bosch vac005 for less than $40 which will do the same thing. This is an easy issue to solve that doesn't necessitate a ct-sys, or even a festool vac.

2. Power cord gets in the way. - Well , that's going to happen with any hose that doesn't get some type of cord management added. The ct-sys cord is going to flap around too; unless you add cable clips or a braided hose sleeve.

3. Ability to purchase boom arm. You have that ability right now with any vacuum and hose combo.

So, as for ct-sys advantages, they are slim as I see them for you. The SYS is a good choice for punch out work and moving around a lot with another systainer or two in tow. Doesn't sound like that's you. As Jim says, could be advantageous for a dedicated setup if you wanted a compact and square form factor to mount. If you're going this route, the accessory costs really won't be relevant since you wouldn't need them.

Now, the disadvantages. It's small capacity. Regular sander it might pass, but with a rotex hogging off material in droves; changing the small bag is likely to get old fast. Then there's the lack of suction control. There are threads on here that you might read to see if that (and the workarounds) will bother you.

I think you have to ask yourself if this is truly a dedicated sander vac. Or will you want to use it for other things as well, even if not as often.

n.b. an additional thought I have re: #3 - If you work in a basement with low ceilings and want to mount a vac up in the rafters above your sanding table to save space, then ct-sys is your winner. I know of now other vac with similar performance that would fit up there.

thx Clark for hose link! Great find.

I have the CT SYS for several years. I like it a lot. But, it has negs... no wheels, (I dont stack stystainers), small bags, costly bags, vac is costly for its size...
    But its great to lug around when wheels dont work, going up stairs, rough terrain, etc.
    The CT SYS was really designed for the stacked systainer contractor type.
    However, as others mentioned, if you hog out a lot of dust, u will be spending big time on bags. For me, I use it on for small stuff, so dont eat through too many bags.
    I like that small Fein, looks like a good fit for all around vac...

thx Clark for hose link! Great find.

You are welcome.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I have one mounted to the ceiling, use it just for sanding, works great.

FWIW,

I have the Festool Midi and an older Fein (the robot kinda looking one) they both work great for sanding I bought the Fein at least 25yrs ago specifically for sanding and that's all I use either for.

I hardly even bother to twist lock the Festool sanders on the midi hose generally have no problems with it coming loose but it's nice to be able to lock it

for the fein there used to be a rubber stepped hose adapter that worked pretty well but not like the festool hose, I replaced the stock fein hose last year with this bosch hose https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-16-4-Fo...0475262&sr=8-1 and the hose end works much better then the fein, doesnt lock but have not had issues with the sanders coming off.

like Jim B said the CFM dif shouldn't matter, my fein and Festool both seem about equal, I don't pick one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Let's dissect the benefits you think the ct-sys will bring:

1. your current hose doesn't secure to the ro150. PIA for sure. And while the ct-sys will remedy that, so would a lot of other options. The festool hose (and connector) can be had separately to use with almost any vac. Then there's the hose Clark links, and there's even the Bosch vac005 for less than $40 which will do the same thing. This is an easy issue to solve that doesn't necessitate a ct-sys, or even a festool vac.

2. Power cord gets in the way. - Well , that's going to happen with any hose that doesn't get some type of cord management added. The ct-sys cord is going to flap around too; unless you add cable clips or a braided hose sleeve.

3. Ability to purchase boom arm. You have that ability right now with any vacuum and hose combo.

So, as for ct-sys advantages, they are slim as I see them for you. The SYS is a good choice for punch out work and moving around a lot with another systainer or two in tow. Doesn't sound like that's you. As Jim says, could be advantageous for a dedicated setup if you wanted a compact and square form factor to mount. If you're going this route, the accessory costs really won't be relevant since you wouldn't need them.

Now, the disadvantages. It's small capacity. Regular sander it might pass, but with a rotex hogging off material in droves; changing the small bag is likely to get old fast. Then there's the lack of suction control. There are threads on here that you might read to see if that (and the workarounds) will bother you.

I think you have to ask yourself if this is truly a dedicated sander vac. Or will you want to use it for other things as well, even if not as often.

n.b. an additional thought I have re: #3 - If you work in a basement with low ceilings and want to mount a vac up in the rafters above your sanding table to save space, then ct-sys is your winner. I know of now other vac with similar performance that would fit up there.
    Dave, thank you for the detailed reply. My only question now is what options did you have in mind for a boom arm compatible with another manufactures vac (such as the Fein Turbo 1)? The Festool boom arm is very expensive at around $400. Are there any other more budget friendly options? I have a shop space with very tall ceilings so hanging a vac from the ceiling is a no go. I guess that I could build my own boom arm out of solid wood but I would prefer something more practical and sturdy. Any suggestions?

I have the boom arm and modified it to mount to my sanding table. I also just got a midi to use for sanding so my 26 can go to the miter saw. That all said I think it’s Derek Cohen that uses simple loops hanging from the garage rafters to hold his hose overhead and it appears to be a marvelously simple solution to accomplish the same as the boom arm if you are not using it in too many places or in Mobile jobsite locations.

Dave, thank you for the detailed reply. My only question now is what options did you have in mind for a boom arm compatible with another manufactures vac (such as the Fein Turbo 1)? The Festool boom arm is very expensive at around $400. Are there any other more budget friendly options? I have a shop space with very tall ceilings so hanging a vac from the ceiling is a no go. I guess that I could build my own boom arm out of solid wood but I would prefer something more practical and sturdy. Any suggestions?
    Dan you should probably do a bit more research before deciding. I assumed you had looked into festool's boom arm already. At least more than just -"they have one". It's is not OEM compatible with the ct-sys. So again, I assumed you had dreamed up a way in which you would use it for your application.

All I was pointing out, well at least trying to, is that the festool's boom arm' ability to hold a hose and cable are not limited to festool's offerings. It will hold any hose. If you can't mount the ct-sys in the rafters, then I don't see any advantage for your situation and a lot of disadvantages.

I wouldn't sell yourself short making a boom arm. In fact, if you can't make one; you might want to re-think woodworking. Google "vacuum boom arm" and tons of variants will pop up for, festool as well as other manufactures along with many home brew models . Some quite sturdy. Rockler has a table mounted one that's easily accessible.

I know the Festool is HEPA rated while the Fein is not. As far as the rated cfm, I do not think it matters as you are unlikely to get that flow thru a small hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Dan you should probably do a bit more research before deciding. I assumed you had looked into festool's boom arm already. At least more than just -"they have one". It's is not OEM compatible with the ct-sys. So again, I assumed you had dreamed up a way in which you would use it for your application.

All I was pointing out, well at least trying to, is that the festool's boom arm' ability to hold a hose and cable are not limited to festool's offerings. It will hold any hose. If you can't mount the ct-sys in the rafters, then I don't see any advantage for your situation and a lot of disadvantages.

I wouldn't sell yourself short making a boom arm. In fact, if you can't make one; you might want to re-think woodworking. Google "vacuum boom arm" and tons of variants will pop up for, festool as well as other manufactures along with many home brew models . Some quite sturdy. Rockler has a table mounted one that's easily accessible.
    Thanks again for the reply Dave. Of course I can make a boom arm myself. My shop ceiling over my sanding station is 20ft up so I don’t see it being practical mounting a vac up there. Does anyone know when the CT-15 is coming out? I might hold out to get it as it is only marginally more than the Fein. I will be doing some additional research as you suggested before making a decision.