Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic model 180 planer

Powermatic model 180 planer

I recently bought a Powermatic 18 inch planer, built in 1988, thinking it had the standard 3 knife cutterhead. On inspection, I found it had the "Quiet Head", sectional chip breaker and sectional in-feed roll. I bought it anyway with the intent of replacing the Cutterhead with a Byrd Shelix. On further teardown, I found 3 of the sectional ship breaker fingers are missing.

1. is it reasonable to replace the three sectional chip-breakers and go with the sectional in-feed roll, or to try to find a solid chip breaker and in-feed roll.

2. where should I look for parts?

3. It came with the grinding-jointing attachment less the actual grinder itself. Since I am going with a Byrd Shelix, I will never use it. I will be happy to give it away for the out of pocket cost of shipping (I will crate it) to any one who can help me get the parts I need to get this baby humming.

Thanks

You could try here http://www.redmondmachinery.com/old-powermatic-parts-1/ and at OWWM. I would try for replacing the missing fingers as that is a better setup overall.

That grinding attachment is actually worth a a fair amount of money. I wouldn't replace the sectional in-feed rollers.

Blog Entries
    A segmented infeed is a benefit. I certainly wouldn't swap for solid.

Thanks, I got it cleaned up and running today using a 3hp VFD on a 7.5hp motor. Silk smooth and quiet. Ran a few 1x12 cypress thru it (chip breaker segments centered) and the side to side thickness difference is less than .001. Looks like the bed adjustment is right on.

Yes: I would include the indexing fixture with it.

Hi Tim, it doesn't appear you can receive private messages. My email is Rpclance@gmail.com

I'd be interested in the grinding attachment. I have a pm160 I got used. I think mine is from the 70s. Mine had a 5hp 3 phase I swapped a 5hp single in. The cheap VFD I was using popped. I need to readjust everything this weekend, I'm getting a little snipe and the boar is slightly canting when it comes in. So many little adjustments to dial these in.

let me know about the grinding stuff. I'm going to research if the 180 fits the 160.

Thanks
    Patrick

I doubt that it does, my understanding that the only difference between the 16" and 18" is 2" on the width of the respective components. i will look into the Private Message business.

I have it torn down, got the sectional chip breaker segments on order, shelix on order, but have run into a new problem: one of the 4 coil compression springs on each end of the infeed/outfeed rolls is shorter than the other 3 by about 3/8 ". Is this by design or was it some how flattened? I have an inquiry to Redmonds. I am at a loss at how this could happen.

What to do??

Patrick, I have the PM 160 with grinding attachment. If, as I believe, the only difference from the 180 is width, Tim's grinding bar should work on your machine with the minimal modification of drilling and tapping two new holes in the bar for the mounting bracket. The guys at Redmond Machinery or OWWM should be able to confirm this.

The new holes would have to be tapped very accurately as the base is doweled to the frame. I suppose one could juggle it around, and re dowel it when the alignment is satisfactory.

All is disassembled and cleaned, got the chip-breaker segments installed and waiting for a shelix to arrive. I may have to up the drive size to a 5hp, but if I can get by with 3hp, I will do it. Once into a 7.5 hp VFD to drive a 7.5hp motor, might as well buy a single phase motor and reconnect the existing starter (120v coil).

Motor starters and DVD's are horse power rated for a reason. It won't work for long before smoke comes out the top of your vfd.
    Same thing with a 5hp vfd.

I doubt if the grinder is doweled in place. I would think taper pin is more likely. Which means they will have to be reamed to fit a new machine. Not a big deal if you have a taper reamer of the correct size. Many taper pins ar e internally thread to ease removal in a blind hole. If the hole is open on both ends they pop out with a punch from the correct end. which may take some time to figure out which end is which.
    Bill D

an induction motor is just an impedance, a transformer with it's secondary short circuited and mounted on a shaft. the vfd will supply only what the motor requires to run...no load or under load at synch speed. If one tries to load the motor beyond the vfd's capability, the vfd will trip itself out long before smoke occurs. I was only testing it to see if it ran smoothly (it did). I took a 1/8 cut and no overload condition. I will be changing the motor out to a 7.5hp single phase 220v unit. Need to get a 120v coil for the starter. Shelix head will arrive in a few days.

Bill: I was alluding to the grinder bar, and indeed roll pins are used. I am guessing that they are there to aid in getting the grinder bar back in the correct xy location for that machine. I will not be using it as I have a Byrd Shelix on order.

Thanks, Tim