Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with wife's wall decor

Blog Entries

Need help with wife's wall decor

This is not my idea.
    Just want you to know that I'm simply trying to arrange her idea so that it has the most pleasing aesthetics as earthly possible.
    In the photos you can see at both ends there is space just far enough from the last board that the next upright should begin, but the space is too narrow to fit the entire board.
    I determined a consistent distance between them to line up with thick, sort of quilted wallpaper with a rough surface she want to maintain, but the paper was there when we bought the place. It is very thick and whoever put it up overlapped the seams and they are clearly visible. So this arrangement is an attempt to cover as many seams as I can. That will be difficult, at best, above the door. She'll just have to live with a couple of short sections of uncovered seam.
    She liked the texture so over the past 30 years, let's just say the square feet of living space in our home is considerably less. She is always painting.

Here's an idea I came up with and I'am reaching out to those with "an eye" for asthetics, even for the quirky.
    Suppose I was to continued the length of wood I just ripped onto the adjacent wall?
    When you look just above the door, they (for whatever reason) "split the difference and narrowed both end pieces instead of using a full sheet, so that means the 21" spacing will wrap around the corner leaving perhaps more than the width of of a board.
    I hope you can get what I'm trying to explain.
    If the idea stinks, tell me it stinks.
    But I must live on to complete it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To my eye, one of the best things you can do is to change out the door trim (and probably other trim) to be more proportionally appropriate as well as consistent in style with the vertical features on the wall. The corner for me would also need to be visually proportional to the other verticals and that would require either a mitered setup or a butt with one leg reduced in width so that it still "felt" like a single piece proportionally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Im not sure Im following you Bill. Are you putting those 2x4s on all 4 walls, or just on one wall? What made you choose 2x4's instead of 1x2s or something?

Here's one idea, based on what I think I understood you to be doing....... It seems like what you do in/near one corner, you will have to do in all corners, or things will look unbalanced. I think that matters, because those "beams" will be far more "prominent" and visible than any seams you dont cover.

I feel your pain, man. Hang in there.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Have you tried to fix the seams on the wallpaper. For example, taking a very sharp razor knife with a straightedge and cutting thru the paper. Then wer the paper at the seam, wait for the glue to loosen, remove the top overlapped piece, reglue as needed, the touchup the paint? You can rent a wallpaper steamer to make this task easier. Best result if you cut thru both layers at the overlap, remove the top, fold it back, remove the under piece. Then reglue as needed.

I’m not sure what you’re doing- new wallpaper, drywall?

I'm not sure what you're doing either, but when it comes to equally spacing something like those strips: If you can't equally space them, then randomly space them===

(think 'vintage' wall paneling)
    pnl2.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm not sure what you're doing either,
    Me neither.

Is the only purpose of the vertical boards to cover up seams in the wall paper?

Blog Entries
    I'm using 1x3s.
    She just wants the boards on one wall, which is facing the street in the dining room.
    Her purpose of the 1x3s is to cover the seams and she has decided she wants just that one wall done, leaving the other 2 walls in as they are.
    I can't live with nothing in the corners because it looks unfinished. Yet there isn't enough space on the ends for a full width piece. I am struggling to make it look as nice as possible while maintaining equal spacing, a factor I cannot do.
    One thing I suggested to her was for me to build a very small corner shelf that runs from floor molding to the ceiling, but she strongly dislikes corner shelving.
    Seems there is no way to accomplish this in a way that I can be comfortable with. Certain things, such as crooked pictures and things that are not level are annoying to me.
    Unless I can do something in the corners to make it look right, I'd prefer to take it all down. A daunting thing to consider since this is what she wants done and these things I'm struggling with are a non-issue to her.
    I simply would go nuts in a room with the corner 1x3s cut down in width.
    As for trying to remove the top layer of paper, the fact that it has so many coats of paint would make that difficult at best, and I'd risk ruining the paper.
    I cannot think of any way to complete this while pleasing both of us. Wrapping the full width 1x3 around the corner is the only option I can come up with to deal with my personal concerns. I can't stand crooked lines unless it is done emphatically.
    I think I said this before but the wallpaper is on this wall only. Doing the other walls is not an option in her mind, and in this case is she's right. The room is "open" in that one adjacent wall continues on to the rear wall of the house with no walls dividing the rooms.

Blog Entries
    The easiest way to happiness in this case would be to do it the way the wife wants it but explain to her you will need a particular tool to pull it off.

Then every time you are in the room looking at the walls you can think of the nice new tool you were able to purchase.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The easiest way to happiness in this case would be to do it the way the wife wants it but explain to her you will need a particular tool to pull it off.

Then every time you are in the room looking at the walls you can think of the nice new tool you were able to purchase.

jtk
    I knew there had to be a silver lining in there somewhere. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that she intends to paint that wall, 1x3s and all, with the same color.

Blog Entries
    I've got it!!!
    Apply a similar or any of a vast number of thick, textured wallpaper. I can remove the high spots created by overlapping and start over. Then I can space the boards at will.
    This idea that came to me just moments ago is the way to go.
    That is if she still wants the 1x3s. I may come across a textured paper that she prefers over what's there to the point she may settle for covering the entire wall, then painting it. I know how to hang paper without overlaps.
    Thank all of you for your input.

Now for the hard part....convincing her.
    In her opinion, I think, the wall is finished. She just wants it done. I cannot take on a job and put my heart into it if I know ahead of time that I do not have the wherewithal to complete it in a way that I am comfortable with.

More wallpaper is not a good solution. The old seams and defects will telegraph through. Just strip it using a rented wall paper steamer. Once the old paper is down then rewallpaper as you see fit.

I'd have to work the edges of the battens, and prepaint them. And 1/2" would be better. Might do better to start with molding.

A compromise is needed here. Suppose you ignore the seams, then you can have the spacing you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

jtk
    THIS! ^^^^^

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    The seams are the reason she wants something done.

On her part. She likes the texture, but would prefer a flat new finish.