Thread: Bandsaw for scroll sawing

Bandsaw for scroll sawing

Mark Duginske, in his bandsaw book discusses using a 3/32 inch blade in a bandsaw for scroll saw like work. I have been using a coping saw for some tight curves and do not have a scroll saw. I have a Rikon 10-326 14 inch bandsaw. I was looking for a 3/32 inch blade but cannot find one. Is anybody using their bandsaw with a 3/32 inch blade? And if you are what is your set up...cool blocks? Carter Stabilizer? Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Mark Duginske, in his bandsaw book discusses using a 3/32 inch blade in a bandsaw for scroll saw like work. I have been using a coping saw for some tight curves and do not have a scroll saw. I have a Rikon 10-326 14 inch bandsaw. I was looking for a 3/32 inch blade but cannot find one. Is anybody using their bandsaw with a 3/32 inch blade? And if you are what is your set up...cool blocks? Carter Stabilizer? Thanks Mark
    Mark,

I've never seen a 3/32" but plenty of 1/8". One chart I saw indicates a 1/8" blade will cut a 3/16" min radius - is that too big for what you want?

When I used a small blade on one saw (a Delta 14") for the guides I "pinched" the blade between two wood blocks, teeth and all. I read somewhere that was a good method. Maybe it was in Duginski's book!

I did buy the Carter stabilizer for small blades but it turned out I didn't use a small blade enough to even install it. I think it's for that Delta but it may have been for my larger Rikon. I can check. If you want to try it I'll be glad to send it to you - I think I remember where I put it! I have a good scroll saw and have no use for it. If it won't fit your saw exactly maybe it can be adapted.

Just curious, what kinds of things do you make with scroll saw like cuts?

JKJ

I keep a 10" Craftsman (same as Rikon 305 if I'm remembering that model number correctly-the cheaper of their 10" saws) set up with a Stabilizer, and 1/8" blade. I mainly use it to cope muntins on small runs of reproduction sash parts. It does a fine job with that. I've never seen a 3/32 blade.

The carter stabilizer really helps get some pretty tight turns. It won't replace a scroll saw but it will get pretty tight even with a 1/4" blade. Just plan your relief cuts, if at all possible.

Thanks John, Tom and Tom L. John, I am working on feet for this chest of drawers. I have to cut 4 more, and was looking for easier methods than the coping saw. Thanks for the offer of the Carter stabilizer if you can find it. I think there may be some issues fitting it to my Rikon 10-326 but if you locate it I can call Carter products to see if it would fit my bandsaw. I would be willing to purchase it from you.

feet2.jpgfeet3.jpgfeet4.jpg

Try this place - http://www.woodcraftbands.com/index.htm

Garrett Wade used to sell them for the Inca 10" and 20" bandsaws. I don't believe they do anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    Try this place - http://www.woodcraftbands.com/index.htm

Garrett Wade used to sell them for the Inca 10" and 20" bandsaws. I don't believe they do anymore.
    Mick, I do not see them on the site. Have you seen them?

Those feet would be no problem for a little bandsaw like mine, or even a cheap little scroll saw. I bought that second 10" saw off CL for a hundred bucks, and the Carter Stabilizer, especially for that saw, was about the same amount by the time I paid shipping on it. That's my fourth bandsaw. The two 10"er's don't take up much room, and no time spent switching things over.

Someone gave me one of those little scroll saws, and I used it more than I thought I would, but that was before I set up the scrolling bandsaw. The bandsaw does prettier work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Those feet would be no problem for a little bandsaw like mine, or even a cheap little scroll saw. I bought that second 10" saw off CL for a hundred bucks, and the Carter Stabilizer, especially for that saw, was about the same amount by the time I paid shipping on it. That's my fourth bandsaw. The two 10"er's don't take up much room, and no time spent switching things over.

Someone gave me one of those little scroll saws, and I used it more than I thought I would, but that was before I set up the scrolling bandsaw. The bandsaw does prettier work.
    Thanks for the advice Tom!

I also have a Rikon 10-326 and according to the manual it won't run a blade below 3/16" but then again I've never tried it so it may be possible. Adjusting the bearings/tracking might be difficult with such a thin blade

I know this post is about the blade but awesome work,that is looking good.Hope to see pics of the finish product

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    I also have a Rikon 10-326 and according to the manual it won't run a blade below 3/16" but then again I've never tried it so it may be possible. Adjusting the bearings/tracking might be difficult with such a thin blade
    . Thanks for the info Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    I know this post is about the blade but awesome work,that is looking good.Hope to see pics of the finish product
    Thanks Carroll, I will post it when done.