Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The root of all evil..

The root of all evil..

Want it really is a useless terrible self inflicted affliction.

Like really what would I really even ever need with this thing but I want it so bad.

Pathetic really. I think I need to find real purpose.

Must be a lack of nature in my life.

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/mac..._26_resize.jpg

I really want it so bad but my dam bungalow just won’t have it. I’m thinking rent a storage space for it. But then I need to hire riggers to move it. I guess I could buy a fork truck and trailer it to the rental space. But then I’m nearly 10k deep into something to sit in a storage space in hopes I ever have a shop to hold it. Then there is If I ever use it more than a handful of times in my life.

But man even with all that I want it so so bad. It’s been pulled up in a tab and I look at it everyday.

I think I’m sick?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Ha, I saw that the other day, and had similar feelings. I hate turning, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that lathe before in all the years of looking at auctions and Craigslist ads.

Yeah it’s so close to me.

Is to as in also too or to. I can’t spell..

Phase perfect and electrical service upgrade and being able to use my newly restored t75 and t23 or a giant beautiful hunk of metal in a storage space then having to sell my house just so I can use it someday.

Let’s be honest I’d build one pencil post bed and that would be it as I have zero desire toward turning anything other than metal machine parts. But you know I have recently taken up organ building and I think I will be more in love with building organs someday than I am with Woodworking should I be able to find my way to making the type of organs found in grand cathedrals. Then I can see a use for machinery of this scale.

So I should probably buy it right. I’m gonna need if I’m thinking right here. Come on tell me it the smartest thing I could ever do and I’ll be so glad I did.

I’ll drag it home on my back if I get it in. Yo head I have to have it and it’s the only way I can figure out lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Ha, I saw that the other day, and had similar feelings. I hate turning, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen that lathe before in all the years of looking at auctions and Craigslist ads.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2020 at 10:37 AM.

I owned one at one time, mine was from 49 and lived in NJ at us pipe and steel since new.

IMG_20180622_145419_386.jpg

Only picture I could find.

It is currently making large scale turnings in MI.

Wow!

Ok so I can’t have it.

They have. Little brother to it but it’s not as complete and no point for a stupid tool collector like myself unless it’s pristine. Well complete not pristine.

That thing is huge on a trailer. I’d need a massive shop. That’s not gonna happen for maybe a decade.

This organ building gig is going well and so long as they stay in business I think I’m gonna wanna stay as it’s way better than building cabinets.

Plus my drive to and from work is like 12 minutes.

Plus my boss seems pretty darn easy to get along with.

But you know it’s only week number four so ask me what I think I’m four years.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2020 at 10:38 AM.

The 26 on WW was missing the wheels on the bed when it slides out and it just looks smaller than the one I had, like less swing, but I believe they were all the same. If I remember correctly there were only around 40 of them made. I was told 8800 pounds with motor, but old 6k pound yale picked it up, but the entire motor and drive train was behind the mast, which probably added ballast.

That's a 20' gooseneck.

It can’t be pulled apart into like five large pieces.

You may have seen the vid already - if not its pretty interesting. May give you a little taste of the size shop and tooling you'll be looking at.....lol. Whole thing is worth a watch but skip to around 2:15 for the lathe.

https://www.pbs.org/video/Virgil-Leih-573717H-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    You may have seen the vid already - if not its pretty interesting. May give you a little taste of the size shop and tooling you'll be looking at.....lol. Whole thing is worth a watch but skip to around 2:15 for the lathe.

https://www.pbs.org/video/Virgil-Leih-573717H-1/
    I have seen that several times, forgot it was a 26c. A lot of them were sold to large mines. One literature cut says where some were at.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    It can’t be pulled apart into like five large pieces.
    Yeah, but they would still be a few thousands pounds each.

Hmm,

Not like I’m gonna buy it.

Well if I had the space you bet I’d be hustling to figure out the asking price. But I dint so seedy when I do have the space and I can’t find one or similar.

Kinda like the t23 tenon table a couple years ago.

I’m just a broke dope always living beyond his means...

I just had a meltdown between my ears at Home Depot buying a rotary hammer. Even though I full well know I’ve blown up every rotary hammer I have ever owned baring never having owned a hilti I still wanted to buy the fancy one. I felt like a mad man resisting the temptation to spend on the one I wanted vrs the least expensive one I could buy that I forced myself to walk out of the store with.

It’s a sickness..

All I’ve ever know. Bad habits die hard I suppose..

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Yeah, but they would still be a few thousands pounds each.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2020 at 10:41 AM.

OK, I will say it.

You are SICK!

Don't ask how I know this.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Hmm,

Not like I’m gonna buy it.

Well if I had the space you bet your ass I’d be hustling to figure out the asking price. But I dint so seedy when I do have the space and I can’t find one or similar I’ll be pissed at myself.

Kinda like the t23 tenon table a couple years ago.

I’m just a broke dope always living beyond his means...

I just had a meltdown between my ears at Home Depot buying a rotary hammer. Even though I full well know I’ve blown up every rotary hammer I have ever owned baring never having owned a hilti I still wanted to buy the fancy one. I felt like a mad man resisting the temptation to spend on the one I wanted vrs the least expensive one I could buy that I forced myself to walk out of the store with.

It’s a sickness..

All I’ve ever know. Bad habits die hard I suppose..
    Having used Bosch, Hilti, AEG, Skil( back when they made real tools,) I prefer Bosch. Hilti used to use a special style bit. I still have a couple bits in back of shop. Have an AEG that needs repacking. Have the kit, but it uses spline drive bits. My three Bosches use SDS bits. Oldest came from a former employer who closed up shop. Second (Bosch Bull Dog) was purchased used from local pawn shop for $45, and came with over a hundred bucks worth of bits. It did have a problem, which a new cord fixed. Last (another Bull Dog) in new condition from another pawn shop set me back $75. It was the last tool purchase I made while in business. Never saw one day of service, as other Bull Dog refused to die.

Post a picture of your sickness Rick.

I’ll assume you have this machine or a very large lathe.

It really does kill me to not purchase it.

I’m so over this world/culture of disposable everything garbage. Like really the amount of trash I generate from one day of eating food.

This stupid old machines are my redemption for a life of generated waste.

I don’t belong in a metropolitan area. But how can o live somewhere rural and afford this madness.

Probably the age old question?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    OK, I will say it.

You are SICK!

Don't ask how I know this.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2020 at 10:42 AM.