Thread: First time Stave Shell Snare Project

First time Stave Shell Snare Project

I’ve been a life long musician,well since Jr.High, I wanted to play drums but my parents talked me into playing guitar instead. I’m sure they were thinking it would be less noisy, after a 2year saving spree of lawn mowing and snow shoveling a Marshall Half Stack made that thought a goner .....

So I’ve gotten the drum bug again and figured why not try to make one..... talking with my drummer buds and doing some reading I finally started one this is my first attempt ,10 Stave Figured Maple. It looks good so far now I’m starting to build a rounding jig.....for finishing I’ve gotten some Keda dyes and am gonna do some samples from the scraps I have left from the build......really hoping to get a deep rich look like a figured top Les Paul or Paul Reed Smith......I’ve been watch finishing videos like a crack addict E03E63A0-3332-4B29-A20F-8F308BC6A92B.jpg
    I can sure make a mean pile of Saw Dust !!!

I look forward to seeing your progress. I wish you the best.
    Chuck

If you dig back into the SMC vaults, Seth Dolcourt had some great drum building threads back around 2012. I've never built a drum, and I don't play drums, but I still thought the projects were pretty fascinating.