Thread: Worksharp 3000 question

Worksharp 3000 question

This is NOT a sharpening thread - everyone relax.

I've been pretty happy with it for the last couple of years - makes sharpening with hand problems much easier. But recently the adjustable ramp / tool holder seems to have gone out of alignment. What used to be the 25 degree setting now seems to be in the range of 27 or 28 degrees. Have any users of the 3000 experienced this? If so, how did you fix it. Can't seem to find any adjustment other than setting the holder so that the tool is square to the plate. Going to call them Monday, but thought I would ask around.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

are you talking about the under wheel holder with the piece of sandpaper glued on it ?

doesn't it adjust to several angles with a thumbscrew ?

have you verified that the platter is square to the shaft ?

Dave - yes, it's square, and the adjustment window where you read the angle is set at 25. But the grind is closer to 28, and I don't see any adjustment for it.

I ran my WS3000 a couple of hours this am to flatten and sharpen 14 new/old Nooitgedagt and Mifer chisels, so much faster/easier than any other method!

Is there any chance you bumped the "skew cam lever" which threw out the angle?

Capture.JPG

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...user_guide.pdf

k
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

The fact that the angle is now larger than before implies that the distance between the sanding disc and the bed of the ramp is larger than before. Is there something caught somewhere that is lifting the disc higher than previously? Or alternatively, is the replacement abrasive thinner than previous materials you have used? I see angle differences when using the topside disc when I change grits due to thickness changes of the abrasive discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Weber View Post
    The fact that the angle is now larger than before implies that the distance between the sanding disc and the bed of the ramp is larger than before. Is there something caught somewhere that is lifting the disc higher than previously? Or alternatively, is the replacement abrasive thinner than previous materials you have used? I see angle differences when using the topside disc when I change grits due to thickness changes of the abrasive discs.

bingo. Yes, the problem occurs when I sharpen an iron with the diamond disk after initially using the WS paper disk. When I stay with the paper - no problem. Thanks Al - never considered that.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    bingo. Yes, the problem occurs when I sharpen an iron with the diamond disk after initially using the WS paper disk. When I stay with the paper - no problem. Thanks Al - never considered that.
    Now you tell us you're using a diamond disc .

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Now you tell us you're using a diamond disc .
    Didn't want to make it too easy. lol
    Seriously it never occurred to me. This blind squirrel found no nuts.