Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any skiiers out there? How do you maintain your edges?

Any skiiers out there? How do you maintain your edges?

I'd like to start tuning my own skis. THere are a million kits out there. Do any of you do it yourselves? LMK what you use...

Gummy stones? files? bevel guides???

Seems like we should be able to make our own jigs pretty easily and even use standard ww stones and equipment to do this...

I’m on a snowboard but I use essentially the same method shown in the above video using a 6” file by hand. If you’re near an REI, some of them have free classes on the black arts of ski tuning.
    https://www.rei.com/events/a/snowsports

I bring them to a guy who used to tune the US women's Olympic team's skis.

i would try waxing and maintenance at home, but for base flattening or structuring i would go to a professional. this guy has a machine that is akin to a surface grinder that grinds, not flat, but between 3 wheels to keep your camber, and will grind special textures into the base. we got new skis a couple years ago from very high end, hand made manufactures and they needed a full regrind as the bases were not flat and the edges were not at the correct angles.

I’m just saying, but I would be asking a ski forum instead.

I only asked here because it appears that it should be doable with common tools and skills a woodworker would already have.

If you want to just touch up your edges, a 6-8” mill file will work. Otherwise I agree with Adam, take it to a pro.

Compared to the price of good skis (and skiing!) going to a pro is cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Compared to the price of good skis (and skiing!) going to a pro is cheap enough.

no kidding!! vail is over 200 for a walk up one day. season pass is 1000 bucks if you buy it in may! small resorts with a locals discount card is about all we can do anymore. My wife has skied vail every year for 20 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    no kidding!! vail is over 200 for a walk up one day. season pass is 1000 bucks if you buy it in may! small resorts with a locals discount card is about all we can do anymore. My wife has skied vail every year for 20 years or so.
    An Epic Local Pass for Vail / Beaver Creek and several other resorts is $725 with 10 blackout days which isn't much. Unlimited at Breckenridge, Keystone and Crested Butte, Heavenly, etc. well worth it imo.

Blog Entries
    I just use one of the plastic things with the preset angle stone that you slide down the ski edge. I do a lot of backcountry and off piste skiing, so precision edge angle isn't super important to me. Sharp edges are though.

Andrew, what exactly do You use?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    An Epic Local Pass for Vail / Beaver Creek and several other resorts is $725 with 10 blackout days which isn't much. Unlimited at Breckenridge, Keystone and Crested Butte, Heavenly, etc. well worth it imo.
    honestly, we have about the same amount of fun spending 500 a year on ski tickets for 2 people as we did spending 1600 on epic passes, and we ski more places and have more flexibility to ski where the snow is.

Plenty of roadside stuff in Rocky Mtn Park usually well thought the spring. Right in your back yard!

Blog Entries
    Get you a touring setup and check out bear tooth pass in spring.

You didn't hear it from me.