Thread: where to buy bedrock smoother no4

where to buy bedrock smoother no4

Looking for suggestions on who or where to buy a fully refurbished, ready to go, No4 bedrock smoothing plane. preferably with hock blade.

Try Bob Garay at takeadiptools.com. Bob is a retired shop teacher who buys, refurbishes and sells old tools. You may have to purchase hock blade on your own.

You may want to try "The Tool Store at the Woodwright’s School".

If those parameters were driving my purchase, I’d just call Lie-Nielsen and have a credit card in hand...Just sayin’
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    If those parameters were driving my purchase, I’d just call Lie-Nielsen and have a credit card in hand...Just sayin’
    Joe

Ding, ding, ding. If you aren't looking for a user and want one ready to go, I would just buy a new one.
    Who knows what stands in front of,
    our lives; I fashion my future on films in space.

I'd actually say Lie-Nielsen too, and I'm not even a huge fan of their planes. A Bedrock isn't any better than a similar vintage Bailey, and those are plenty available. You sound like you are looking for a heavier plane with a heavier blade, which is a Lie-Neilson (and why I don't care for them). Besides there is a good chance that after restoration and modification, they are going to be close in price.

If you want a thick blade, you might as well get a plane that was designed for it. Leave the thin bladed planes for those of us who like and appreciate them

How hard over are you on a bedrock? If not too much, take a look in the classifieds. Tom Bussey has a very nice Stanley (not bedrock) for sale right now. Ground square and flat. If you buy it, I will be able to resist the temptation to do so myself. FWIW, I have a #6 he prepared for a buddy of mine and it was very well done. Add your own Hock iron and go to work.

Just an idea.
    Fred

[No affiliation with Mr. Bussey.]
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-25-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

Jim Bode has good stuff in great condition usually. No garage sale prices though. https://www.jimbodetools.com/collections/planes
    Where did I put those band aids?

I haven't found the Bedrocks to be any better than a Stanley Bailey. To my mind, the only reason to purchase a Bedrock is if you're a collector.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I haven't found the Bedrocks to be any better than a Stanley Bailey. To my mind, the only reason to purchase a Bedrock is if you're a collector.

Mike
    Unless you like to buy 'em cheap and sell them to collectors.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    Joe
    ^^^^^This ^^^^^
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I sneaked away last year on eBay with a 1922 Bed Rock No. 607 in acceptable shape for about $100 less than a Lie -Nielsen No. 7. It is now pristine and super tuned. I bought a new Hock and still came out ahead price wise.

It’s longer than you want, but if you keep lurking on eBay, a 604 is likely to come up. Also look at tooltique in England. That guy does a beautiful job with Stanleys, and is just as likely to have a Bed Rock some time.

I will say that I have rarely seen another 607 of quality and price comparable to mine since then (February 2019), so maybe I got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    Jim Bode has good stuff in great condition usually. No garage sale prices though. https://www.jimbodetools.com/collections/planes
    Right. Just saw this:

https://www.jimbodetools.com/collect...-1910-18-91510

Not a Bed Rock, but nice.

A Wood River #4 will get you the same thing. Its' basically a modern Bedrock with a better adjuster, cap iron and blade.

thanks everyone. Ended up with a Baileys & a lie Nielsen. Had just never owned a bedrock, and even forgotten I do own 4 1/2 veritas smother.