Thread: Add remote stop switch to Grizzly G0766

Add remote stop switch to Grizzly G0766

Has anyone added a second stop switch (at tail stock) to a Grizzly G0766 need to know how to do it

check the GreenMonster listing in Community (top of screen) Brice Rogers has a great write up on making a remote for the 766. On the schematic, all that is needed is to install a switch in the 10V speed control line. Again, Brice has a picture of the schematic, all marked with the appropriate values.

Pat Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Morris IV View Post
    check the GreenMonster listing in Community (top of screen) Brice Rogers has a great write up on making a remote for the 766. On the schematic, all that is needed is to install a switch in the 10V speed control line. Again, Brice has a picture of the schematic, all marked with the appropriate values.

Pat Morris
    Pat I not having any luck finding Brice Rogers article on installing second remote switch
    Guy Mueller

I sort of looked into it but not very far. I think if I was going to do it I would move all the electronics to a remote box with a magnetic base. You could easily add a switch that acts like the main power switch but it will shut the power off all together. You could do the same with the forward/ reverse switch but again going from forward to off wouldn't use the freq drive to slow the chuck down. To me I would much rather have the speed control and display close. It also means having a loose wire since the tail stock moves which seams like it could be unsafe. Anything not mounted to the tail stock but close could end up being in the way. You might want to look at other brands that have a remote switch and see how they do it and then try to copy it.

in the GreenMonster Community, about page 4 of the photos shows the diagram Brice used. I found the post using google search for "Adding a remote or Pendant Control Box to G0766". The search tool in the community forum doesn't seem to really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mueller View Post
    Has anyone added a second stop switch (at tail stock) to a Grizzly G0766 need to know how to do it
    I don't know that machine but if it uses a VFD similar to the Delta S1 used on PM and Jet lathes adding a remote stop switch takes a simple low-voltage single pole switch (or double pole for alternate wiring) and a trivial wiring effort. Mine is in a little box with a long cord and a strong magnet so it can be stuck anywhere. The manual for the VFD shows and describes the control terminals. Doc Green's web page on the PM 3520 has pictures and a circuit diagram and a good explanation of everything.

VFD-control-wiring-diagram.jpg
    https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/pmcontrol1.html

It looks like you wire the cutoff switch in series with the stop/start switch inside the headstock or between the switch lead and the ground terminal inside the VFD. I could look at mine and see how it's wired if you want. You could compare the Doc Green's diagram with what is actually in your lathe.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-25-2020 at 10:56 AM.