Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got a quote for a new front door

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    The hidden cost of DIY is called opportunity cost. Assuming the DIY'er has the skills to do the job in the first place, how long will it take and what else would he/she done with their time? I read a thread here on SMC where a guy decided to build his entire kitchen cabinet package to save $$. Due to his day job, the kitchen project consumed every weekend for a year. That's a year of weekends that guy will never get back. There's a price to a DIYer's time, and an aggravation factor too.
    This is not to argue against DIY, but thinking of it as an apples to apples comparison to hiring a professional is not accurate either.

By the way, I'm not disagreeing with either comment above, just adding some thoughts.
    I always loved the, I would do myself it if I had the time people. I always responded with, yeah me too. Lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    It seems they have hidden your search Lowell.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post

I can tell you that absolutely everyone asks artists and musicians to work for free or cheap.
    Yep, I hear ya brother!
    I guess people just assume that the 1000's of hours, and years, spent learning, and practicing, scales and modes just come naturally, so it should be free.

To the OP
    If you have neither the time,inclination, or skillset, to make the door, have it done. Whether or not the price is correct is only up to you. Professional, reliable, building contractors are going to cost you. They've built their reputation over years.
    All of the folks that I know in the building trades, that work for themselves, put in a butt ton of hours every week. Their phones are constantly going off. Their "time off" is pretty valuable to them.
    For a guy working a predictable 40 hour week, the time spent building and installing their own set of doors may be enjoyable and fulfilling. It can also be that they have the skill set, but not the money. Every situation is different.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-26-2020 at 7:58 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I had to replace a Pella sash for my nephew that was only 12 years old and Pella said it wasn't covered because the aluminum coating had failed.

The hidden cost of DIY is called opportunity cost. Assuming the DIY'er has the skills to do the job in the first place, how long will it take and what else would he/she done with their time? I read a thread here on SMC where a guy decided to build his entire kitchen cabinet package to save $$. Due to his day job, the kitchen project consumed every weekend for a year. That's a year of weekends that guy will never get back. There's a price to a DIYer's time, and an aggravation factor too.
    This is not to argue against DIY, but thinking of it as an apples to apples comparison to hiring a professional is not accurate either.

By the way, I'm not disagreeing with either comment above, just adding some thoughts.
    I spent from Sept 2nd to Nov 15th five years ago remodeling a house I had bought. (I was living elsewhere.) I spent almost every weeknight and weekend day at the house working on it. I hired a contractor to do the major work, but I simply didn't have enough money to have the contractor do everything. I work for a salary so doing extra work instead wouldn't get me extra money. It was worth it to me to give up that time in lieu of money I didn't have.

I wish I would have delayed the move in by a week to finish a few things, but I wanted to be in my own house again. I still have unfinished stuff fives years later! (I live alone so no one to nag me to finish things.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I spent from Sept 2nd to Nov 15th five years ago remodeling a house I had bought. (I was living elsewhere.) I spent almost every weeknight and weekend day at the house working on it. I hired a contractor to do the major work, but I simply didn't have enough money to have the contractor do everything. I work for a salary so doing extra work instead wouldn't get me extra money. It was worth it to me to give up that time in lieu of money I didn't have.

I wish I would have delayed the move in by a week to finish a few things, but I wanted to be in my own house again. I still have unfinished stuff fives years later! (I live alone so no one to nag me to finish things.)
    I hope it didn't come off like I was making a case against DIY. It's been my experience that most are not as capable as you obviously are. It's a highly personal cost/benefit proposition. Many pros and real estate agents will tell you that the majority of homeowner DIY work looks like just that, sub-professional. But for those that can do the work competently and efficiently, by all means do so. Plus there is a non-financial factor for many, myself included, which is the pride of having done something yourself and done it well. It can be a liberating feeling to not be dependent on contractors.

On the other hand, I have found myself slogging through a chore that was outside my expertise, wishing I had hired a pro who does the task every day. Good job on your renovation!

Edwin

I hope it didn't come off like I was making a case against DIY. It's been my experience that most are not as capable as you obviously are. It's a highly personal cost/benefit proposition. Many pros and real estate agents will tell you that the majority of homeowner DIY work looks like just that, sub-professional. But for those that can do the work competently and efficiently, by all means do so. Plus there is a non-financial factor for many, myself included, which is the pride of having done something yourself and done it well. It can be a liberating feeling to not be dependent on contractors.

On the other hand, I have found myself slogging through a chore that was outside my expertise, wishing I had hired a pro who does the task every day. Good job on your renovation!
    The general contractor and his subs did all the hard work like replacing windows, bath remodel, exterior doors, and siding. I hired a finish carpenter to hang the interior doors and install all the trim. I mostly did things that wouldn't be seen like fixing tons of electrical problems. Previous owners had hacked the wiring and even just cut off live wires in walls. I demolished a useless masonry chimney that water was leaking around.

I replaced all the broken and rotted kitchen cabinets with new RTA cabinets, but they look horrible. Most of the doors are out of alignment and the Chinesium hinges just strip when adjusted. I didn't understand which way cabinet doors should swing and one or two of the doors swing the wrong way. The kitchen cabinets definitely look like a DIY project right now. I might of been in too big of a hurry when painting and there are spots where there is no paint coverage. I should have put on a second coat and I really should repaint one of these days.

I am hoping to build my own large garage/shop in the next two years or so. It will be 40x60.

I hope it didn't come off like I was making a case against DIY. It's been my experience that most are not as capable as you obviously are. It's a highly personal cost/benefit proposition. Many pros and real estate agents will tell you that the majority of homeowner DIY work looks like just that, sub-professional.
    Resistance from commenting on this is _almost_ beyond my human strength to endure, given my experience with "highly regarded" contractors recommended to me by similarly highly regarded RE agents in my area. Of the several such instances where I paid good money to have stuff done in the past year, it all had to be redone, by yours truly. Apparently "professional" has a very contextual meaning.

Blog Entries
    OBTW, I made my front and back doors. They are solid wood 1 3/4" thick.