Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got a quote for a new front door

Blog Entries

Just got a quote for a new front door

We would like to replace our current front door. It currently also has sidelights and a transom. We got a quote for a fiberglass door from Pella. The installation would be exactly the same size as the current door,with sidelights and transom.
    The installed cost is $6595.( Wood would be twice as much) I have no idea how to determine if this is a reasonable price.
    What do you think? ( I'm in Monmouth county NJ)
    Note that I have no interest ,nor do I have the capability of ,doing this myself
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    The installed cost is $6595.( Wood would be twice as much) I have no idea how to determine if this is a reasonable price.
    This sounds a bit high to my way of thinking. Then my last door replacement was done by the wife and me. We purchased a new door and frame and put it in. Only took us a couple hours.

You could drop in to your local Home Depot, Lowes or other home improvement store and look at the cost of their doors as if you were going to do it yourself. That way it would be easy to break out the labor. They could also contract an installation crew.

Do you want to take out the whole entry way or would you be happy with just the door itself being replaced in the old frame?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Your probably right in the ballpark. You could take your quote to Home Depot to see if they will beat. We priced out a new door and being a custom size, I think we were around $11,000 and that was with a window cut out. Needless to say we passed, but for that price, I would build my own.

I'm not surprised. We checked into new doors a few years back leading out to a sun room (not the front entrance) and I was astounded at how much high quality doors were going for. We settled on a far simpler double door, doug fir and glass with wide glass panels on either side (Sort of makes a wall of glass between the house and sun room.)

In general I'm not quite enamored with Pella. Might check around with other door companies.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    We would like to replace our current front door. It currently also has sidelights and a transom. We got a quote for a fiberglass door from Pella. The installation would be exactly the same size as the current door,with sidelights and transom.
    Note that I have no interest ,nor do I have the capability of ,doing this myself

I would first make a decision on the side lites. Stay, go , or replace.

First, it's been ten years, but I installed a custom built door with side lights for a customer. Customer order door, and I installed it Total cost on job was less than $3K. Pella isn't the cheapest source, IMHO. Find a local millwork shop (not the BORGS) and get a quote

I've bought a couple entry doors in the last several years, your cost is consistent with my expectation in a high cost market like NJ or MA. For my son't house I bought a mid-range fiberglass door at the Borg, it cost $2300 and I installed it myself. Paying at least $5k for an installed cost would have been consistent with my experience. With the termite repair I needed to do as part of the job it easily would have gone $10K. Yours is a more elaborate door. Local millwork shops started at about $3K and went up (way up) for a similar door.

I don't know if this is true or not but do you have to pull a permit to replace the front door?
    I was also told front doors and windows you have to have a contractor do them and pull permits.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've bought a couple entry doors in the last several years, your cost is consistent with my expectation in a high cost market like NJ or MA. For my son't house I bought a mid-range fiberglass door at the Borg, it cost $2300 and I installed it myself. Paying at least $5k for an installed cost would have been consistent with my experience. With the termite repair I needed to do as part of the job it easily would have gone $10K. Yours is a more elaborate door. Local millwork shops started at about $3K and went up (way up) for a similar door.
    Wow! Am I ever glad I have that Domino DF 700! Until now I'd just been using it to build garden structures. Now I know that it will have paid for itself already. Boy howdy!

Sound a little high but maybe not much for the NY-NJ-CT labor markets. I would also be sure in the contract to state the installer must follow all the door manufacturer installation instructions. A good contractor will have no problem with that stipulation.

Is that for the door an installation?
    If it is, that seems fair. More to it than swapping a door, interior trim, exterior trim work, protecting work area, probably permits (its NJ) new lockest I presume, haul away and disposal. On second thought, that seems cheap all inclusive.

We just replaced our front door last year. It sounds like it was the same setup as yours.

Here's a picture of the door we took out

We replaced it with a double door made from Mahogany. Took the guys two hours to rip out the old door and install this new one.

Cost was $7000.

Price vs value is always a judgment call. I am very satisfied with our Pella windows and doors.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    If you saw my post about the double arched mahogany doors with double arched mahogany screen doors, we charged $8000 a set for 14 sets total, installed- customer supplied the hardware. That said, we should have charged more. Volume discount played a role.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not but do you have to pull a permit to replace the front door?
    I was also told front doors and windows you have to have a contractor do them and pull permits.
    It would depend on location. Around here (Atlanta) you are required if the value is greater than $3000. You can do it yourself but still need the permit and inspection.