Thread: Mounting a router. Need help.

Mounting a router. Need help.

I want to permanently mount my router and dont know how to get it perfectly centered in the hole. The top is cast iron and aluminum and wasn't designed to have a lift insert. Its just a round hole in the top. I think it may be an old Geizzly but I'm guessing. I bought it used and I'm guessing it is old. Any ideas or comments are greatly helpful and appreciated.

Depending on the size of the "hole", or if you have any inserts to fill part of it--using a centering cone would be best. This one is Bosch branded, but could be used in any 1/2" or 1/4" collet. According to an answered question at amazon, the outside diameter is 2 3/8".

earl

Why does it need to be perfectly centered? Never worried about that myself in my homebrew router table extension to my table saw.

The only thing I worried about was the possibility of the bit hitting the edge of the hole. So I made several different plates with different size holes. But turns out I just use the plate with the large hole in it, probably 3” in diameter...

Edit: Of course, if I were routing something small I would use a plate with a smaller hole, but for what I generally do this has not been needed.
    Last edited by Bill Space; 01-24-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Why does it need to be perfectly centered? Never worried about that myself in my homebrew router table extension to my table saw.

The only thing I worried about was the possibility of the bit hitting the edge of the hole. So I made several different plates with different size holes. But turns out I just use the plate with the large hole in it, probably 3” in diameter...

Edit: Of course, if I were routing something small I would use a plate with a smaller hole, but for what I generally do this has not been needed.
    Yes how the inserts fit is the only thing that matters. If it is just a bit off, it does not really matter.

I agree, the centering cone mentioned above is for centering the base on a router so when you run it along a straight edge, like when making a dado, you get a straight line even if the router base rotates a bit.