Thread: From the sawmill

From the sawmill

A friend came over with a few short logs a few days ago (when it was 24-deg!) and we cut some slabs on my WoodMizer sawmill for turning blanks.

This is about 1/2 of it, about to be carried into my shop. I cut planks mostly from 2" to 4" thick. Walnut, maple, and a little eastern red cedar.

wood-from--sawmill-for-turning-blanks-02.jpg

Some planks had interesting color. Maybe some color will stay when dried.

wood-from--sawmill-for-turning-blanks-01.jpg

I'll cut most of this up into turning squares and air dry them for spindles, boxes and other smallish things (including pen blanks). Some I'll cut for bowl or small platter blanks. I'll keep some since I don't have much common sense and donate the rest to our annual club wood auction in March.

BTW, anyone in the east TN area is welcome to come to the auction - send me a note if you want details. I make nothing from this, the proceeds go to club and charity programs. I'm the auctioneer since I'm loud, don't have a trace of the shyness gene, and know a wee bit about wood. Chance to get some useful wood and roughed out bowls (and be entertained, according to some reports).

JKJ

Darn, that's about as much fun as a guy can have. Wish I was in better shape to be able to do that again. Thanks for posting, brings back great memories. I can a gallery of old farts sitting in lawn chairs giving advice. I have a feeling you'd be ok with that. Good luck with your wood auction.

Ohhhh, don't tempt me, they would be dry by October wouldn't they?
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Casey View Post
    Ohhhh, don't tempt me, they would be dry by October wouldn't they?
    Rgds,
    Richard.
    Ha! They will probably be GONE by April! Unless I put a hold on a piece or two...

From further discussion and examination of the endgrain structure with the microscope it appears the dark-streaked planks are probably mineral-stained yellow poplar, sometimes called Rainbow Poplar: https://www.wood-database.com/rainbow-poplar/

In a couple of places the black is as black as ebony. Most of the streaked planks are just 2" thick and I'll cut them into either 2x2 squares or shallow bowl/platter blanks to seal, and dry.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ha! They will probably be GONE by April! Unless I put a hold on a piece or two...

From further discussion and examination of the endgrain structure with the microscope it appears the dark-streaked planks are probably mineral-stained yellow poplar, sometimes called Rainbow Poplar: https://www.wood-database.com/rainbow-poplar/

In a couple of places the black is as black as ebony. Most of the streaked planks are just 2" thick and I'll cut them into either 2x2 squares or shallow bowl/platter blanks to seal, and dry.

JKJ
    I've never seen poplar so darkly stained. That must have been tapped into a coal mine or something...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I've never seen poplar so darkly stained. That must have been tapped into a coal mine or something...
    The "other" woodturning John Jordan said it looked like something he has that was turned from y.poplar from a tree that was struck by lightning.

JKJ

Beautiful mineral stained poplar. !0 years ago I found a huge supply on E-Bay. The guy could hardly give it away--after buying 15 bowl blanks I stupidly suggested he finish out a piece to put on the tube. This wood was red, purple, black.. blue ect. Sold out in a week. Some people have no imagination me thinks.