Thread: Mora knives chisel knife

Mora knives chisel knife

I just found out Mora makes a chisel knife. It has a fixed blade 3 inches long and about 3/4 inch wide with a chisel grind on the end and on one side. It comes with a plastic handle with a finger guard and a plastic sheath.Mora is known for good quality cheep knives. I'm not sure how useful it would be. Moras aren't a full tang knife so if you use a hammer it's going to have issues

https://morakniv.se/en/product/chisel/

These are built to take abuse in house building.

When the apocalypse is over, all the fashionable giant cockroaches will carry Morakniv as accessories.

Blog Entries
    Where could someone find statistics on folks using these as a paring chisel ending up in the ER needing stitches?

Nicholson makes a chisel/rasp. To me it seems like another way to slice one's hand open.

If something like this were really the 'cat's pajamas' we would already have seen others making their own versions in their shops.

A common complaint from a few on their brand new chisels is the corner where the side meets the back has been ground to a sharp 90º and tends to cause leakage of blood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think that the idea is that you can use this to split wood.

Lee Valley sells something similar as a batoning chisel. I have had a right and left for 3 years or so. They work really well for splitting off small pieces for dowels or similar jobs. They also work nicely for trimming tenons to the shoulder. I usually have them out for those tasks and use them for chip carving some where that 90*,corner can be handy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I think that the idea is that you can use this to split wood.
    Made a mini-froe for that from an old planner blade:

Mini-Froe.jpg

This works great for splitting off dowel stock or other riving jobs.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bought two when they were on special for $8.75. The one is at work for our cabling jobs and the other I keep in my 'house toolbox'. It's used primarily for jobs where a knife edge is too fragile. I expect it to be a 'beater' though.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"