Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun values

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a Parker double, damascus. They were a black powder gun from what I understand, no modern powder. I found it under an old house I was working on and the lady hated guns, gave it to me. I have never shot it. This one is loose as well, kind of forgot about it. Dad was a gun dealer, its over at moms house in the gun room, should go get it I suppose before someone grabs it.
    Generally speaking shotguns with Damacus barrels should not be fired at all, they are considered dangerous. Here is some information from the NRA website regarding Damacus barrel shotguns.

The best Damascus barrels made by Belgian and English gunmakers were regarded as strong and elastic. However, differentiating these barrels from the plethora of inferior-grade Damascus tubes produced all over Europe is a job for an expert. These barrels, made of soft iron poorly welded together, are not only weak, but also tend to rust and pit readily.

Some authorities consider the best Damascus barrels, properly proofed, to be capable of handling light smokeless powder loads. However, considerable expertise, probably beyond that of the average gunsmith, is required to determine which Damascus barrels are safe with such ammunition. With these considerations in mind, the owner of even a "best quality" shotgun with Damascus barrels should avoid firing the gun with any smokeless powder loads.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a Parker double, damascus. They were a black powder gun from what I understand, no modern powder. I found it under an old house I was working on and the lady hated guns, gave it to me. I have never shot it. This one is loose as well, kind of forgot about it. Dad was a gun dealer, its over at moms house in the gun room, should go get it I suppose before someone grabs it.
    Yes, you should!!
    Loose or not, it's an original Parker! and they are always worth $$$$
    I remember some thirty years ago, there were some much lower pressure shells sold that could be safely fired in vintage Parkers, with Damascus barrel. I doubt many folks actually shot them even back them, just because of their value.
    Look up Parker gun values, and you'll get an idea.

I have a 1936, Browning Superposed with twin triggers, that I always forget about.
    I bought it really, really, cheap, many years ago.I even told the guy it was worth more than he was asking, but he had caught his finger between those two triggers one time to many and wanted it gone.
    I've actually only ever test fired, it some 30 years ago, but I knew then it would always be an uncommon shotgun to run across.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-02-2020 at 8:28 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Marlins with the JM stamp are worth good money. I have a model 60 22lr and a model 336 35 Remington.
    Since Remington acquired Marlin, the quality has taken a steep dive. So hang on to those JM guns.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Marlins with the JM stamp are worth good money. I have a model 60 22lr and a model 336 35 Remington.
    Since Remington acquired Marlin, the quality has taken a steep dive. So hang on to those JM guns.
    You got me thinking..... I went and looked at my 22 rifle...... stamped on the barrel is... The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven Conn. USA
    Model 99 Auto-Micro-Groove Barrel Cal.22LR
    and has KK stamped on the barrel.... anyone know what that means or if it is worth anything??

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    You got me thinking..... I went and looked at my 22 rifle...... stamped on the barrel is... The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven Conn. USA
    and has KK stamped on the barrel.... anyone know what that means or if it is worth anything??
    I'm trying to find some info on it at the Marlinowners forum. Searching there doesn't bring up too much. I'll ask about it there.
    what are all but the last 2 or 3 of the SN?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I'm trying to find some info on it at the Marlinowners forum. Searching there doesn't bring up too much. I'll ask about it there.
    what are all but the last 2 or 3 of the SN?
    I took the stock off and don't see a serial number anywhere...

Kk = 1967. $250-350.

Thanks for the info Myk......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Yes, you should!!
    Loose or not, it's an original Parker! and they are always worth $$$$
    I remember some thirty years ago, there were some much lower pressure shells sold that could be safely fired in vintage Parkers, with Damascus barrel. I doubt many folks actually shot them even back them, just because of their value.
    Look up Parker gun values, and you'll get an idea.

I have a 1936, Browning Superposed with twin triggers, that I always forget about.
    I bought it really, really, cheap, many years ago.I even told the guy it was worth more than he was asking, but he had caught his finger between those two triggers one time to many and wanted it gone.
    I've actually only ever test fired, it some 30 years ago, but I knew then it would always be an uncommon shotgun to run across.
    i have a Superposed as well. Used it for duck hunting, too heavy to lug around for wing shooting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    According to a gunsmith I was talking to, serial numbers were not required on all firearms until 1968 when the Gun Control act was passed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

11. You guys are talking about hand planes right? Oh, I'm sorry its shotguns, ok.