Thread: Alternatives to "scabbing" to support drywall ceilings?

Alternatives to "scabbing" to support drywall ceilings?

Is there a modern alternative to "scabbing", support boards that are nailed over the top of wall plates to support drywall ceilings at the top of walls?

I'd think that, by now, builders would have a more efficient construction technique. However, I suppose scabbing is a good way to make use of scrap lumber.

Clips. With a truss roof, it's better to let edges be supported by the drywall installed on the wall. In a wind, trusses lift up a small amount (the airplane effect,) cracking seams at intersection of wall and ceiling. DAMHI!

Blog Entries
    I have seen a technique where the ceiling is allowed to sag a bit at the walls, then the long horizontal wall sheets are pushed up until the ceiling sheet contacts the lowest joists, keeping the joint straight, rather than following the sometimes uneven joists. At that point, I assume the ceiling edges are screwed only to the joists they are touching. The weight of the ceiling keeps the joint closed before taping and mudding. No scabbing required.
    NOW you tell me...

Drywall clips

Little metal pieces that get nailed to the framing. Some use them at corners also instead of the normal extra stud. Previous post about truss use is right on target. Ceiling sheets aren't fastened for 12-16 inches from the wall. The edges are supported by the wall sheets. Good practice even without trusses. Prevents cracks from lumber shrinkage also.