Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun values

Shotgun values

No, I'm not looking to find out how much something is worth or anything like that. Just an observation.

I bought my shotguns many years ago, 30+years, so just for jollies last night, I was looking up the current used prices on used shotguns, and just kind of seeing where the evolution of the shotgun was at.
    First off, I was stunned at how much the "cheap Japanese made" Winchester 101's I have are now valued at. I hope I never drop one in the field now, which is one of the reason I bought them in the first place, to be able to accidentally drop one in the field and not start crying, because they were relatively inexpensive then. I also saw that shotgun shells from 30-40 years ago now sell for much, much, more than what they cost back then. I know this because I have boxes of 12,20 and 28 gauge shells from the 80's and 90's, with the prices still on them.
    I get that "things" naturally increase in value over time, one of them being firearms in general, but I never expected to see something like shotgun shells become "collector items".
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    No, I'm not looking to find out how much something is worth or anything like that. Just an observation.

I bought my shotguns many years ago, 30+years, so just for jollies last night, I was looking up the current used prices on used shotguns, and just kind of seeing where the evolution of the shotgun was at.
    First off, I was stunned at how much the "cheap Japanese made" Winchester 101's I have are now valued at. I hope I never drop one in the field now, which is one of the reason I bought them in the first place, to be able to accidentally drop one in the field and not start crying, because they were relatively inexpensive then. I also saw that shotgun shells from 30-40 years ago now sell for much, much, more than what they cost back then. I know this because I have boxes of 12,20 and 28 gauge shells from the 80's and 90's, with the prices still on them.
    I get that "things" naturally increase in value over time, one of them being firearms in general, but I never expected to see something like shotgun shells become "collector items".
    You are right. I have an old M1 Carbine with a bayonette in my gun safe and stacks of boxes of ammo. I was astounded at value estimated by some people who know guns.

Maybe I'll sell it and retire. Wait, I've been retired since '06...

JKJ

Part of the issue is inflation. Since 1990, the US has had just about 100% inflation. That is, a dollar in 1990 had the same buying power as two dollars today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Part of the issue is inflation. Since 1990, the US has had just about 100% inflation. That is, a dollar in 1990 had the same buying power as two dollars today.
    Definitely!
    Some things outpace inflation, some don't.
    I think I paid just less that $300.00 in 1981 for my first 101, new. The second one I bought, 28 gauge, a few years later, was used and a little bit more, but a progressive reloader came with it. When screw in choke systems became the rage, shotguns that didn't have them were basically worth nothing back then unless they were Parkers,Purdey's Boss's, and such.
    I know that a lot of the shells I have are no longer made, or legally allowed for waterfowl any longer, due to the lead shot. Maybe that's what makes them "collectible"?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

There can be lots of drivers--inflation, belief that "they made them better back in the day".

One of the issues I have seen is a general run up in pricing for all guns and ammunition. A lot of my friends do panic buying because they are afraid of changing in the laws, which create scarcity which in turn encourages bulk buying and hoarding. It becomes a self perpetuating cycle. Of course the market reacts, but the pricing increasing with the increased demand.

When my MIL passed we got two old guns; a beautiful double barreled shotgun and a 22 that looked like a truck ran over it. We put them on consignment at a local shop and got $150 for the shotgun and $250 for the 22. I didn't think the 22 would even sell; maybe it was rare.

Tell me about it....I entered the workforce full time in 1970 - making $2.50 an hour.
    I retired from full time work, in 2010, making something like $25.50 an hour.
    While I made ten times as much - everything seemed like it cost ten times as much...
    I just ran in place for 40 years.....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Tell me about it....I entered the workforce full time in 1970 - making $2.50 an hour.
    I retired from full time work, in 2010, making something like $25.50 an hour.
    While I made ten times as much - everything seemed like it cost ten times as much...
    I just ran in place for 40 years.....
    Same story here except I am still running.

Just because of this thread I looked up a Ithaca SKB 200E I bought in 1975. Its worth what I paid for it, so I lost money.

I remember 30 to 40 years ago when some "turn of the century" shotguns were literally worth more than their weight in silver and some, even gold. (model 12's, etc) Then around 1990 the bottom fell out and those same shotguns were selling for a quarter of what they were 20 years earlier. I had a large Collection of Remington No. 1 single shot rifles. Around 1970, I paid as little as $15.00 at yard sales for them. Today, Some of them would now be worth a grand or more a piece. However in keeping with my luck, I lost them in a fire. Around 1970, I purchased old muzzleloaders that were pretty much considered scrap. 20 years later some were worth an unbelieveable amount and I sold them. Of course we don't brag about the things we purchased that never went up in value the way we expected.

I missed getting this shotgun for nothing, because it was hidden in a casket that I didn't open. This is one of my Great Grandfathers. The shotgun is a double barreled Parker 10 ga. with Damascus barrels. I was shown it when I was about 12, and told to never shoot it. I never saw it again after that, until the auction sale of the old home place that my previous generation decided to sell, since none of them wanted it. It included a 19th Century General Store that was closed in 1935.

Family members were allowed to take whatever they wanted, but it had to be taken out pretty quickly. I got some nice stuff, but didn't think to open the caskets, that had been for sale, up in the attic of the store. My Uncle had hidden some guns in one of the caskets. One of them was this shotgun.

There was a long list for the auction, but no guns listed, so the buyers that showed up were not expecting any. Long story shortened some, when they brought down the caskets, they opened them, and found the guns. They were sold under separate sales.

This Parker sold for $2500, with no real gun collectors there. I didn't want it bad enough to pay more than that for it, especially knowing that it had been shot a lot, and was kind of loose, from my old memory. I think this is the same gun, but not 100% sure. Picture is from sometime late 1860's into 70's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A Parker 10ga. with Damascus barrels! That would have been something to see.
    Loose, or not, I bet it was a beauty.

Tom, that's a fine thing to have. He knows he and the future are eye to eye. Kinda looks like Davy Crockett
    (Fess Parker).

Those eyes had seen a lot, not too long before that photo was taken. He was one of three Brothers that all fought in the Civil War. In the first battle, one Brother was killed almost as soon as the battle started. Some time later, the second Brother went missing in another battle, and they thought he was killed. Thinking that two out of the three Brothers had been killed, Stonewall Jackson sent this one to the back of his Army's procession, and put him in charge of the horses.

Sometime after the war was over, the second Brother walked up to the home house, missing an arm. Most of us are here by the skin of the teeth of some of our Ancestors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    .... Most of us are here by the skin of the teeth of some of our Ancestors.
    Along the same lines, in doing some genealogical digging I have been floored at the infant mortality rates even to 1900. You'll easily find a family unit with 4-5 children that never made it to 5yrs old.

My grandfather ran a grocery store for years, extending credit to nearly anyone. During the depression he amassed an arsenal as folks traded guns for grub. ...Some really odd = 11mm rim fire bolt gun, Swedish, I think? 100yr old Colt .45 SAA, and 4-5 beautiful rabbit-eared shotguns. Passed to his daughters, but sadly all gone now.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-31-2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: doh!, that would S ingle A ction A rmy, Not Social Security Administration

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I missed getting this shotgun for nothing, because it was hidden in a casket that I didn't open. This is one of my Great Grandfathers. The shotgun is a double barreled Parker 10 ga. with Damascus barrels. I was shown it when I was about 12, and told to never shoot it. I never saw it again after that, until the auction sale of the old home place that my previous generation decided to sell, since none of them wanted it. It included a 19th Century General Store that was closed in 1935.

Family members were allowed to take whatever they wanted, but it had to be taken out pretty quickly. I got some nice stuff, but didn't think to open the caskets, that had been for sale, up in the attic of the store. My Uncle had hidden some guns in one of the caskets. One of them was this shotgun.

There was a long list for the auction, but no guns listed, so the buyers that showed up were not expecting any. Long story shortened some, when they brought down the caskets, they opened them, and found the guns. They were sold under separate sales.

This Parker sold for $2500, with no real gun collectors there. I didn't want it bad enough to pay more than that for it, especially knowing that it had been shot a lot, and was kind of loose, from my old memory. I think this is the same gun, but not 100% sure. Picture is from sometime late 1860's into 70's.
    I have a Parker double, damascus. They were a black powder gun from what I understand, no modern powder. I found it under an old house I was working on and the lady hated guns, gave it to me. I have never shot it. This one is loose as well, kind of forgot about it. Dad was a gun dealer, its over at moms house in the gun room, should go get it I suppose before someone grabs it.