Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lighting: where/what to buy

lighting: where/what to buy

We'll be moving soon (once it warms up) and I will be outfitting a 32 x 32 pole barn as a new shop. 10' to the bottom chord of the truss. My current intention is to sheetrock the ceiling and insulate above. My question for all of you is lighting. I'll shoot for 100 foot candles per the excellent reference article. I'd like LEDS with a good CRI. What suggestions do people have for a good source?

I'll have a lot more questions as the project shapes up.
    Terry T.

I got my fixtures from 1000bulbs.com. About $20 per 8 foot fixture. The bulbs were sourced from Amazon. 20 packs of 4' bulbs with 2400 lumens each @ 5000k for around $120. I think the CRI was 89. Worked out to about $45 per 8 foot fixture. Really satisfied with that setup. I have 181 lumens per square foot in my shop.

I didn’t run any lumen counts, but I bought a 6 pack of 4’ LED fixtures from amazon and have been very happy with them. They’re cheap, down to $20/light. There are lots of options out there.

I just bought a six pack of 4 ft LED fixtures also. Haven't installed yet (they arrived yesterday) but one thing to look out for is the installation accessories in particular the wiring connections.

The ones I got were linkable, so just plug one into an outlet and keep connecting them. I don’t give much thought to a pretty ceiling so some hanging wires are no bother to me.

Mine are linkable too, still working out the layout I want and how to accommodate it with the combination of cords included and my existing lights.

5000 lumen 5000k temperature daylight (best for shops) at Sams

https://www.samsclub.com/p/4ft-led-5...lp_product_1_1

That is what I got and love them. They are linkable too.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Blog Entries
    There are a bunch of lighting calculators available that will design you light layout for you. Many lighting suppliers have them and are more than happy to develop a lighting plan to give you the required/desired illumination levels. Here is one sample
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In my 30x34x10 I used 16 4' twin tube LED's at Costco. I have them 4 to a quadrant and individually switched. Code here required that the occupancy switches be the auto-off type. I was not happy with that but 4 yrs in have found them to be excellent as the LED's have been.

Blog Entries
    I used about 20 of those 4' units from Home Depot to light a 1200 sq foot shop. It's a good think that I bought local because 4 of them failed in the first few months and were returned for replacement. Once that was over, they've all worked great for a couple of years now.

They were linkable but the cables weren't long enough. I guess they would like to sell more units by supplying only a 24" link cable. I went into production and spliced wire in to make them more like 4'.

I have prime light 4' led fixtures from Amazon in my new shop, 40 x 60 with 12' sidewalls, its a great light!!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I decided to avoid replacing entire fixtures so I got 4' dual lamp fluorescent shop fixtures, rewired around the ballast and installed these. Absolutely love them. Very good light distribution, high CRI,and the 4000K output suits me well. Not too cool. I find the wood and finishes look very natural in that light. They are about $10/tube which makes a complete fixture about $40 bucks. The lamps are very highly reviewed and should last a lot longer than the cheaper ones at the big box stores.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After a bunch of research and watching reviews on YouTube, I ended up going with the Barrina T5 LED lights from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I think they're the best deal for shop lighting and tons of people are using them. Super easy to install, they come with clips, plug into a regular wall outlet, link together, very bright, very light and super reasonably priced.

Search YouTube for "Barrina T5 LED" for some more opinions.

I got a dozen 1900 lumen 48" LED tube type fixtures from The Borg for ~$2.50 each. They each have their own cord and plug, but cheap...

My garage only has two single bulb fixtures. Before I go through all the hassle of wiring in outlets/fixtures or whatever else I am going to give these fancy LED bulbs a try: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZS6XF5S..._uCirEbR5RAVGZ

They get here Friday, I’ll let ya know how it goes.