I'm not a Neanderthal, I'm a power tool guy, but ...

I'm not getting great results cutting tenons on my table saw, don't have the 12 hours to get up to speed on a Leight FMT jig, and my tenon in question is a through tenon, which is longer than any router bit I have. So, I have to old school on this. I've used my table saw and/or a Radial Arm Saw for these and get good results, but hit and miss with the shoulders and tenon thickness. I'd like to try a tenon saw. Most of the stuff I will use it for will be small 1" x 1" x 1/4" stuff but occasionally need that large 2 1/2" x 2" x 3/8" tenon.

I'd rather not plop down the money for a Bad Axe saw, but I might be able to handle Lie Neilson or Highland tools. 16" long seems really long for me. 12tpt sounds like a good middle of the road style. I could deal with an old Disston and send it down to Mark at Bad Axe for sharpening and re-conditioning. I will probably need to build a jig either like Derek's or Jeff Millers, because I'm sure my cuts will wander. Are there other jig designs out there? I envision using this saw perhaps a dozen times a year.

Generally, I'm all over the map on this one, and need some direction.