Thread: Use Drill Doctor to change standard point bits to split point?

Use Drill Doctor to change standard point bits to split point?

Some models of the Drill Doctor drill bit sharpening machine are advertised as capable of sharpening split point bits. Is it possible to use the machine to modify standard point bits to split point bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Some models of the Drill Doctor drill bit sharpening machine are advertised as capable of sharpening split point bits. Is it possible to use the machine to modify standard point bits to split point bits?
    Split points are generally 135 degree bits. First you would need to grind bit to that profile, and then split the point. You Tube has several videos on the Drill Doctor. I have a 750 (not 750 X ) and am unimpressed by it. Actually got it out again today and unsucessfully tried to sharpen a couple bits. For some reason (could be operator error) it doesn't cut the relief angle, so bit skates along, rather than cutting. After sharpening, bits look pretty, but don't cut.

Bruce one thing to remember when sharpening a bit make sure you rotate the bit even turns , like 2 or 4 , otherwise it won’t cut good after

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Split points are generally 135 degree bits. First you would need to grind bit to that profile, and then split the point. You Tube has several videos on the Drill Doctor. I have a 750 (not 750 X ) and am unimpressed by it. Actually got it out again today and unsucessfully tried to sharpen a couple bits. For some reason (could be operator error) it doesn't cut the relief angle, so bit skates along, rather than cutting. After sharpening, bits look pretty, but don't cut.
    Same results I get out of mine. wasted a lot of time trying to make it work. Only reason I still have it is I don't hate someone enough to give it to them
    TOTAL PIECE OF GARBAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Same results I get out of mine. wasted a lot of time trying to make it work. Only reason I still have it is I don't hate someone enough to give it to them
    TOTAL PIECE OF GARBAGE
    Can't recall which model I have (not near it now) but mine sharpens the bits very well. I am pretty sure a good craftman can sharpen it better by hand but I find my bits cut well after sharpening with a Drill Doctor. Sorry it's not working for you

Blog Entries
    The drill doctor certainly seems to be one of those things that folks love or hate. Mine does 118* and has the split point feature. Some models allow you to change to 135* and split. I have good success with it and it seems remarkably easy to operate; experiences certainly seem to vary. My dad can't get his to work to save his life but, I get great results with it. Dad does have a tendancy to try to make things more involved than they are ;-) The design shouldn't allow for that different of a result but, by all reports it does . . . and the results seem to be at extremes. It would be nice if someone from DAREX could chime in and help.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-25-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 750X and have never had a problem sharpening 118° and 135° twist drills with diameters ranging from 3/16" to 3/4". I haven't tried any split points yet, but sharpened worn masonry drills with no problems.

Tormek?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I have the 750X and have never had a problem sharpening 118° and 135° twist drills with diameters ranging from 3/16" to 3/4". I haven't tried any split points yet, but sharpened worn masonry drills with no problems.
    I have two but never tried the 750X. Those I have I judged inadequate due to slop in precision, plastic parts, barely adequate motor. I do better sharpening by hand the way an old mechanic taught me in the '70s.

But if you are getting good results with the 750X maybe I should try it. Some reviews give it high ratings. Some, however, indicate the split point grinding is not very useful. And some had the same problems I saw with the cheaper sharpeners.

But this thread reminds me of the Tormek drill bit sharpener. It's a jig for the Tormek and appears to be very well made, like other Tormek attachments, not based on plastic parts. It's not exactly inexpensive. They claim it will sharpen drills from 3mm to 22mm.
    https://www.tormek.com/international...ng-attachment/

From their video:
    tormek_drill_bit_sharpener_3.jpg tormek_drill_bit_sharpener_2.jpg tormek_drill_bit_sharpener.jpg

Have to think some more about that one. I have a lot of taper shank bits and some are ready for sharpening. Has anyone tried it?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Horton View Post
    Bruce one thing to remember when sharpening a bit make sure you rotate the bit even turns , like 2 or 4 , otherwise it won’t cut good after

Been there done that. Doesn't cut at all, because the relief clearance is always higher than cutting edge. Goggle "A Drill Bit Sharpener You Can Rely On." It's a you tube video. So SIMPLE! Plus you could reverse make the jig and sharpen left hand cutting bits.