Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody reading Popular Woodworking?

Blog Entries

Anybody reading Popular Woodworking?

I just got an offer from Popular Woodworking for $10 for a year. Is anyone subscribing to it? What do you think of it?
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    My offer a few years ago was for two years for $20. The subscription has since lapsed.

Occasionally it will catch my eye in the super market rack. In the last year only one Fine Woodworking has actually been purchased, no Popular Woodworking seemed to contain anything of value to me.

If you really want some good reading try finding old issues at thrift stores and garage/yard/estate sales.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Got the same offer today and not sure I should try it

At this point it is a Rockler catalog with prettier pictures. I just let it lapse, and Woodworker's Journal too. That is a Rockler catalog with YouTubers as the featured experts. Done.

Even their sponsored workshop giveaways are reduced to utter crap. After a craptacular December to Remember giveaway, my last issue has their spring 2020 giveaway - it's the best Delta gear available at your local Lowe's.

It is really sad to see the level to which both publications have degraded.

I took a Popular Woodworking subscription when I got one of those $10/year offers. I let it lapse after one year. Too many advertisements, and the content seemed to be more beginner to intermediate level, even to me, and I do not have a great deal of experience. I still get Fine Woodworking and am considering Woodsmith because of a discount offer they recently sent.

I had gotten a 2 years for $20 offer 2 years ago. I took it and have been reading the magazines but I only find them soso. I will not renew the subscription.

I used to love my woodworking magazines back in the day. The quality however has diminished and the internet has taken over as a better source of woodworking info and entertainment

I do enjoy the occasional Furniture & Cabinetmaking, a nice mag from the UK. I sometimes find it on the magazine rack at the local big box bookstore. Pricey, but far higher quality publication than PWW or WJ.

It's my understanding that Pop WoodWorking was bought out and went through a reorganization. I have the NOV/2019 issue in front of me. Not much to it. Very thin. It's less than than an 1/8 Inch thick. Looks more like a sales insert from the Sunday paper.

Having said that, the articles are well written with good photos and illustrations. No way would I pay the $7.99 newsstand single issue price but for $10 a year I'll keep the subscription.

Popular Woodworking home is here in Cincinnati. I use to go to events there.
    Had a lot of respect for the magazine when Christopher Schwarz, Megan Fitzpatrick and others were there doing events like Woodworking In America or open house events with manufactures demo new products etc....
    That all seemed to end once they left the magazine and Popular Woodworking magazine was sold.
    They were doing great things to advance the craft of Woodworking and thankful Christopher and Megan have continued on their own

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-25-2020 at 7:38 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    For $10 I would try it.
    I subscribed for years, but I find the current magazine to be lacking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    For $10 I would try it.
    I subscribed for years, but I find the current magazine to be lacking.
    My last Pop Wood subscription was $20 for two years. It wasn't renewed at that price.

The $10 offer came in the mail last week. It was laughed at and tossed in the recycling box.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies. I don't plan to subscribe.
    Dennis

I get my subscription through the Apple news app. Every once in a while you find a gem.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

[QUOTE=Dave Lehnert;2986162]Popular Woodworking home is here in Cincinnati. I use to go to events there.
    Had a lot of respect for the magazine when Christopher Schwarz, Megan Fitzpatrick and others were there doing events like Woodworking In America or open house events with manufactures demo new products etc....
    That all seemed to end once they left the magazine and Popular Woodworking magazine was sold.
    They were doing great things to advance the craft of Woodworking and thankful Christopher and Megan have continued on their own

I couldn't agree more. I've been subscribed to PW for over 25 years, but have sadly watched the quality go downhill after Chris Schwartz left. Further saddened to see that the editor has declared his intent to use it as a forum for the recent political activism already saturating the TV media. I've cancelled my subscription and gone with WOOD magazine. Much better quality.