Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody reading Popular Woodworking?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    For $10 I would try it.
    I subscribed for years, but I find the current magazine to be lacking.
    So, you would throw away the $10, even though you know it's not good?

Why shouldn't Lowell spend $10. That hardly gets him a double mocha barista coffee.

Which one is throwing $10 away?

That being said, I did not renew, because other magazines are better suited for my situation.

I hate to admit it, but I am beginning to wonder about WoodSmith, after the seemingly continuous reorganizations and figuring different ways to bundle and sell their left overs.

I still take WoodSmith, and Wood...... Woodcraft and Woodworkers Journal only when there are deals.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Why shouldn't Lowell spend $10. That hardly gets him a double mocha barista coffee.

Which one is throwing $10 away?
    My enjoyment of a double mocha frogachino would likely outlive my enjoyment of a poorly done magazine with an "editor who has declared his intent to use a woodworking magazine as a (his) forum for the recent political activism already saturating the TV media."

Recently my brother sent me some Fine Woodworking magazines starting with issue Number 1. It is interesting that many of these are already in my library and were seen years ago, but the material seems fresh. If nothing else it has refreshed my memory.

It occurs to me if Fine Woodworking reprinted some of these articles or wrote new versions it might actually be an improvement on their current offerings.

In the first dozen or so issues there were three or four articles on different aspects of mortise and tenon joinery.

One was on timber framing that had a passing comment on using a snapped line on the center of an uneven beam for joinery layout.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I read every woodworking magazine published, and always have. Not every issue is jam-packed with great projects, but for the buck or two I spend on an issue, I'll always come away with something.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    I read every woodworking magazine published, and always have. Not every issue is jam-packed with great projects, but for the buck or two I spend on an issue, I'll always come away with something.
    Thomas, right next to me is an issue of Fine Woodworking from October of 2017 that didn't give back much change from a saw buck. If it was only a buck or two it could have been forgiven for being so light on content. ($8.99 cover price plus state sales tax.)

Also next to me is an issue of Fine Woodworking from Spring 1977 with a cover price of $2.50. It isn't in color but it has a lot more to offer between the covers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

If you are paying cover price for a magazine subscription, then you are over-paying. With a subscription, the actual price is a fraction of the cover price.

And I'll beg to differ on Fine Woodworking. There were a number of good "Workshop Tips" that I liked such as using a digital angle cube in lieu of winding sticks, and a simple shop made jig for sharpening hand saws. In the feature article section there was an article on shop made side handing drawers, a review of small cordless routers, and an article on floating shelves. Now, I'm not ready for any of these projects right yet, but it was a nice read for me. I especially liked the article on floating shelves, and the author's technique.

I think, although I could be wrong, that each issue costs me a couple of bucks and I got a good hour of read time.

Compare that to going to the strip club, where even with my senior discount, a hour there will put me back at least $50.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Compare that to going to the strip club, where even with my senior discount, a hour there will put me back at least $50.
    LOL!

To the best of my knowledge the closest strip club may be in San Francisco, about 700 miles away. Surely there are some closer, but in all likelihood my time around a woman taking her cloths off will be at home.

My subscriptions have all lapsed. Even though PopWood was in the low price range, it still didn't appeal to me.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Zetmeir View Post
    [I couldn't agree more. I've been subscribed to PW for over 25 years, but have sadly watched the quality go downhill after Chris Schwartz left. Further saddened to see that the editor has declared his intent to use it as a forum for the recent political activism already saturating the TV media. I've cancelled my subscription and gone with WOOD magazine. Much better quality.
    I took a chance today and bought WOOD for 3 years for $30. I supect that means they are going to sell it and are building subscriber numbers. But we'll see.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    LOL!

To the best of my knowledge the closest strip club may be in San Francisco, about 700 miles away. Surely there are some closer, but in all likelihood my time around a woman taking her cloths off will be at home.

My subscriptions have all lapsed. Even though PopWood was in the low price range, it still didn't appeal to me.

jtk
    Jim,
    Obviously you haven't spent much time in Portland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Jim,
    Obviously you haven't spent much time in Portland.
    Not a whole lot, but it isn't something that catches my attention.

It is more likely a brew pub or antique shop would catch my eye.

jtk

When my wife and I go to Portland it is Powell's Book Store that draws us in. It occupies a city block in downtown Portland and sells new and used books. I always find stuff there I've never seen anywhere else and haven't been able find online.

A friend of mine was looking to get rid of a ton of old books from his house. He rented a U-Haul trailer and filled it completely with books, then drove over to Powell's for them to go through. It took them a month, but they cataloged every one and made him an offer for the lot, which he accepted. His wife was ecstatic.

never heard of it but would study

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Owen View Post

Which, book store, or strip club? I've never quite figured out why they call strip joints "gentleman's clubs."

For ten bucks I am always able to find enough to make it worthwhile. And it seems as of late it has gotten a bit better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie Owen View Post
    Howdy Archie and welcome to the Creek. Your post made go back and reread some of the old posts to get back into this.

jtk