Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bessey Parallel Clamp Grip/Handle Replacements

It also helps to wax the threads. You’ll be able to apply significantly more pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post
    yea good insight. Thats a lot of it. Even just today the handle was difficult to get my hand on and I used the robogrips to turn in small increments. It helped and I could see the glue squeeze out of the joint.

Ok Orren, as my hands are all beat to **** and I have the same issue, and hate pipe clamps, I am going to try a couple of things today as I work in the shop. I'm thinking shaving the top 1" to the shape of a nut, picking up a six sided socket and welding a T on it so the clamps can be applied and then the T/socket slipped on if additional torque is needed. If it works I'll make you a wrench and send it to you.

Tried it this morning. Used a 1" nut as a guide, shaved the six sides on the first 1" of the handle, fine tuned with a sanding block until the 1" six point socket fit nicely without using force. I had a 3/8" short ratchet in the drawer, works perfect. This will be very helpful on entry doors when I end up with clamps close to each other, I can then use a wobble extension {SnapOn has the best] and do the deed from a distance on an off angle.

Keep in mind that just because you have the added leverage you should not use it for that, but just as a way of saving your hands. I know the knuckle on my right hand has arthritis and I really wish I had done this a long time ago, as it makes it flare up.

Now I have to figure out a router jig, have over 100 Besseys.

P.S. Thanks for the motivation Orren.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-22-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by orren countin View Post
    yea, Im afraid of the backlash... sometimes I use pliers on the wood bessey handels to get enough torque and tighten like I want.
    Don't worry about the backlash. I use a pipe wrench on occasion because my hands just don't have the strength they used to. BTW, a pipe wrench will likely lead to less "chewed" handles as the increased leverage vs pliers should reduce the slipping that chews up the handles. It shouldn't take too much effort as you don't want to press all the glue out of the joint. The combo of a grip tape and pipe wrench is probably a good solution.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

If you have to use pliers or a pipe wrench put it on the metal ferell (sp) rather than the wood
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Im envisioning an aftermarket handle replacement that has a truck lug nut on the end so people can start using an electric impact wrench to reef down their bessy's lol. I wonder if they are publicly traded company? That handle replacement would likely equate to a lot of destroyed parallel clamps being replaced. Cha ching.

Sometimes in a complicated glue up clamp handles are hard to grasp, handles get in each others way.

I'd like the clamp companies to put a square recess in the handle end to fit a 3/8 ratchet handle - could use extensions, universals or whatever made the job work.

Or skip the handles, put on a nut for a socket or wrench

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Sometimes in a complicated glue up clamp handles are hard to grasp, handles get in each others way.

I'd like the clamp companies to put a square recess in the handle end to fit a 3/8 ratchet handle - could use extensions, universals or whatever made the job work.

Or skip the handles, put on a nut for a socket or wrench
    They'd have to make the clamps a lot stronger then.

I like the grip tape or hockey tape solution but if you must replace the handles why not make your own handles? Check out this video starting at the 4:45 mark. Easy to make handles without a lathe and better leverage since they are not round. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6TETQoyOxE If you make square handles you could also easily make a matching square "wrench" out of scrap plywood to assist in applying pressure without overstressing your hand.

You may want to look into "YOST" HD parallel clamps, they have a hinged handle that allows you to easily apply a good amount of torque. This is a very uniquely engineered solution to answer to your challenge you are writing about. Keep an eye on Woot.com (tool and garden\hand tools) for a 2 for the price of 1 deals, this deal is currently ongoing TODAY as long as they have stock. I purchased 14 of them before Christmas and even if they are a "small bit" less rugged then my Jet clamps - I am extremely happy with them in use. Been using them for weeks now gluing up the parts of my roubo bench (hard maple) with no complaints. My Jorgy cabinet masters with the round wooden handles are now the last ones I grab when doing a glue up !!!!
    Last edited by Tom DiBiasio; 01-22-2020 at 4:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiBiasio View Post
    You may want to look into "YOST" HD parallel clamps, they have a hinged handle that allows you to easily apply a good amount of torque. This is a very uniquely engineered solution to answer to your challenge you are writing about. Keep an eye on Woot.com (tool and garden\hand tools) for a 2 for the price of 1 deals, this deal is currently ongoing TODAY as long as they have stock. I purchased 14 of them before Christmas and even if they are a "small bit" less rugged then my Jet clamps - I am extremely happy with them in use. Been using them for weeks now gluing up the parts of my roubo bench (hard maple) with no complaints. My Jorgy cabinet masters with the round wooden handles are now the last ones I grab when doing a glue up !!!!
    I agree, the Yost HD parallel clamps are good, and solve this problem. They do go on sale for a great (introductory and limited-number) price on amazon every now and then. I have about 50 of them, along with my Besseys, and I usually reach for the Yosts first.

What Glen said. Only buy the tape in black 'cause it's never going to stay white.

I forgot: that system works wonders for coping saw handles, etc. Huge improvement.

The newer Bessey parallel clamps have handles that have a hex socket on the end, so you can tighten them further with a hex wrench. You could contact Bessey and see if they would sell or send you some of the newer handles to replace yours.

Orren, Replacement handles for the Revo style handle are available and have a rubber like grip. I have several and can get a good turn on them with limited strength due to a shattered wrists injury. I am not sure they will fit your clamps and are a bit pricey (15 dollars @ Grizzly). Cheaper prices maybe had elsewhere and Bessey has a spare parts section on their site which can give you a part number for easy searching.