Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaked Battery Question

I'm]I haven't heard that but I can believe it. In my experience Duracell is the worst offender for leaking. I finally gave up and quit buying them.

John's correct, I spent 35 years in consumer electronics and saw many leaky Duracells. They advertised " copper top" but the only copper is the color on the label. Eveready seldom leaked. At one-time they would replace your item if it was damaged by one of their batteries.

There's household cleaner called Lime Away that makes battery corrosion disappear. Apply it with a cotton swab, leaves the surface like new, almost.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

They are ultra-expensive but I pretty much only use lithium batteries in our household electronics now. Had had the same issue as Barry with TV remotes, wireless weather transmitters, etc. Lithiums won't leak and last forever. Just a thought.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I have a point and shoot camera that hasn't been used for probably a couple of years at least. Found it while cleaning up the other day and had a heck of a time getting the battery door open. Finally got it open and found that one of the batteries (AA) had leaked. I pulled the other battery out with needle nosed vise grips but am having quite a time with the other one. I should probably just toss the camera but would like to see if I can get it going by using a brass brush on my power rotary tool to clean up the compartment and door once the battery is out. My idea is to drill a 1/4" hole down the middle of the battery and use the needle nose vise grips to pull it out. I searched online to see if it would be safe to drill into a battery and get just as many "go ahead no problem" reply's as I get "NO never drill a battery" reply's.
    Any thoughts from anyone at SMC would be appreciated,,,,, thanks

Attachment 424215 Attachment 424216
    would a cleaner like CLR work? just on a qtip and applied sparingly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    would a cleaner like CLR work? just on a qtip and applied sparingly.
    CLR itself is quite corrosive so I'd not be inclined to use it. After the wire brush treatment, perhap a barely dampened (with water) Q-tip, but that's about it.