Thread: Tucson, where can I get a bowl blank or two

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tucson, where can I get a bowl blank or two

Have an upcoming road (actually flying) trip to Tucson for a conference. Is there some place to pick up some native-to-the-area wood blanks? Acacia, mesquite, etc. Needs to fit in luggage.

Thanks,
    Gene

Thumbs up

Maybe try Woodcraft or Rockler if they have them.

3. The Tucson Woodcraft is great. Very friendly and a large wood selection. I also flew to Tucson and wanted a piece to fit in my luggage. I ended up buying a large box full. They shipped it at an inexpensive corporate rate and even held it for a week so I would arrive home before the wood did. Great people to work with.

The owner of Woodcraft in Tucson is Randy, a real nice guy. He really looked after me when I dropped in to the shop. If he can't help you ask him to ring his mate Jerry, he has lot's of nice timber.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

If you’re interested in mesquite, this place carries a lot of it. Don’t know if they have bowl blanks but it might be worth a call.

https://www.mesquitedesign.com/

Heres another place:

https://www.kingmesquite.com/lumber.html

Transporting wood seems like it would require some investigation, whether the wood might be carrying insect/fungus/. . . The first reports I read some time ago about walnut canker suggested it developed as a natural mutation in California, then later suddenly appeared in Pennsylvania.

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to like the idea of shipping from Woodcraft.

Stopped by the Tucson Woodcraft and picked a piece of green mesquite. Fit right in the luggage. The store was busy on Sunday. The staff was helpful. Cut the log section in half and put it in the vacuum chamber to 'sanitize' it. Trying avoid bug juice when I touch a tool to it. Thanks for the guidance.