Thread: Deep throat clamps recommendations?

Deep throat clamps recommendations?

Looking for recommendations for deep throat clamps. Mostly for applying to the middle of panels during glue ups, so they don't need to be too long (12" seems about right), but the deeper the better. Probably going to get a set of 4 to start out.

I have a couple of Harbor Freight 12" deep throat clamps and they are not bad for the money.

I know you’re not looking for them, but cauls might be another option.

@Ted - Those look really good, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I know you’re not looking for them, but cauls might be another option.
    I've got some cauls, but I think I'd prefer to have some clamps, thank you.

As Matt Day posted, think about cauls. Would be a very easy and very economical answer to the problem.

Blog Entries
    I also have some of the tones that Ted shows. I find them handy at the drill press. They work well but, will not exert a lot of pressure. Certainly enough for most clamping jobs of well fitted parts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I have a couple of Harbor Freight 12" deep throat clamps and they are not bad for the money.
    Yeah, I find them handy and they were pretty inexpensive. I fairly often find the 4" opening to be not quite enough, but otherwise like these pretty well. They are hard to beat for the price. I keep meaning to buy a couple more.

I also have a couple Kreg KHC6 6" Face Clamps. They were pretty expensive and not as deep but really handy for some jobs.

There's at least two YouTube videos on making deep-reach C clamps out of wood. The one made with plywood looks relatively easy and inexpensive to make. They can provide a surprising amount of clamping force.

Dubuque makes some fairly deep reach wood handscrew clamps. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...den-handscrews

There's also wooden cam clamps that are fairly deep but they don't apply quite as much pressure. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...den-cam-clamps