Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knowingly Buying Cheap Tools

Knowingly Buying Cheap Tools

How many times have you bought tools knowing that they are cheap quality but sufficient to get the job done and of occasional use? I recently bought a half-round rasp and I only wanted it to hog out a hole but didn't want to spend the bucks for a large diameter forstner bit.

Lots of times, like a flooring nail gun and roofing nail gun from HF to name a couple - cheaper than renting, plus more flexibility. Just bought the cheapest large pad sander that I could find to surface a counter top.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    How many times have you bought tools knowing that they are cheap quality but sufficient to get the job done and of occasional use? I recently bought a half-round rasp and I only wanted it to hog out a hole but didn't want to spend the bucks for a large diameter forstner bit.
    That's what Harbor Freight is for. For anything I might use again, not. For anything that might hurt me if it breaks, not. For big dum lugs, like an engine hoist or an anvil, maybe, but I still don't trust the hydraulics. For anything that requires precision, not.

By way of example, I was once given a gift of one of those Harbor Freight rotary chain saw attachments for my angle grinder, because the giver had seen someone else use one for cutting brush very effectively. I asked, what did he look like? Well, he only had one arm. I returned it.

Gimme a sandwich.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-20-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    That's what Harbor Freight is for. For anything I might use again, not. For anything that might hurt me if it breaks, not. For big dum lugs, like an engine hoist or an anvil, maybe, but I still don't trust the hydraulics. For anything that requires precision, not. Gimme a sandwich.
    I've used a lot of HF jacks. Including my current jack. Both in the shop, and in the paddock. Also jack stands, for that matter. They also seem to be the most common ones I've seen in paddocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I've used a lot of HF jacks. Including my current jack. Both in the shop, and in the paddock. Also jack stands, for that matter. They also seem to be the most common ones I've seen in paddocks.
    I've seen them drop cars. It happens so fast you don't even see it, and God help you if you're under it without auxiliary support. If you see somebody using one for your car, I'd suggest going somewhere else.

Define cheap. There's affordable, then there's poorly made.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Define cheap. There's affordable, then there's poorly made.
    The operative phrase was "cheap quality".

Got my share of HF tools. But I if I needed a Mafell or Snap-on, I would probably buy one instead. Price has to justify the cost.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I've seen them drop cars. It happens so fast you don't even see it, and God help you if you're under it without auxiliary support. If you see somebody using one for your car, I'd suggest going somewhere else.
    Why would anyone work on a car only supported by a jack? That is pretty much the definition of stupidity.

btw, I've seen more than a couple jacks fail. Some with pretty expensive names on the side.

i buy plenty of cheap tools but only when I don't need them to perform like expensive tools.

If you know what to expect, then there's no controversy.

Why would anyone work on a car only supported by a jack? That is pretty much the definition of stupidity.
    It's not just the person lowering the car (after reaching in to pull out the stands or whatever.) It's the car itself. Cars have feelings too. They can be hurt. :^)

And just because somebody is stupid, doesn't mean they deserve to die a slow agonizing death. The world would be a much smaller place.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 01-20-2020 at 11:53 AM.

And just because somebody is stupid, doesn't mean they deserve to die a slow agonizing death. The world would be a much smaller place.
    Yea, that is true. Doesn't change what I said. Most of the time I've seen jacks fail, they've been ignored and failed by neglect. That includes the HF ones.

Yea, that is true. Doesn't change what I said. Most of the time I've seen jacks fail, they've been ignored and failed by neglect. That includes the HF ones.
    The problem with the HF jacks is poor control of tolerances with the hydraulic seals. The better manufacturers will have QC at the point of production. With HF, what comes off the boat is what you get.

Blog Entries
    Lets see, I have a Harbor Freight:
    -chainsaw sharpener
    -carbide blade sharpener
    -1-1/8" SDS impact drill/hammer
    -Flooring nail gun
    -pneumatic stapler
    -T-handle hex wrench set
    -60" F-style aluminum clamps (Four of them)

Not for frequent use, but all have served me well.
    NOW you tell me...

We got it Doug, you don’t care for HF hydraulics.